Thursday, November 8, 2012

Post Athena

I didn't get to the gym until 11 am today because of the school 2-hour delay. I assume it gives the school time to de-ice their school buses as well as ensuring that the roads are all safely plowed. I had half a mind just to stay home after shoveling my walk way last night and half the driveway (before my husband got home and parked on the part I hadn't shoveled yet). I knew temps would rise into the 40s today and eventually everything'd melt by Sunday, but we live in a cold spot on a big hill, and it's not unusual for us to still have snow and ice when everyone else has none.

This morning, I shoveled the rest of the driveway and dug my car out from under 5 inches of sticky wet snow. Sticky as in stick to your snow shovel just when you're trying to toss it all away. And like the gym rat that I am, I got into my gym clothes, tossed my gym bag into the car and drove my son to the bus stop so that I had no excuses afterwards but to go work out.

The gym was pretty empty. I was surprised. B probably didn't make it out of her driveway because she relies on her husband to shovel or plow or whatever it takes. I didn't see R either. But I did see a few other persistent gym rats so it wasn't like the gym was abandoned. Just much much quieter than I'm used to. I'm achingly sore from kickboxing and shoveling. 45 minutes on the elliptical does wonders to loosen everything up, and at 4.99 miles, my hips, calves and butt no longer bother me. Wahoo!

Because there is a remote chance we'll go to kickboxing tonight, I decide to do reps at the Smith and knock out 4 sets of 25 reps. Surprisingly, as sore as I've been, they aren't as hard as I last remember them being. Cage stretch and a few kicks get my heart rate up again before I trudge off to do shoulders. My shoulders are really sore from kickboxing, what with all those jabs and punches, and push ups. But I plough through my sets with the 20 lb dumbbells and a lot of help from my iPod. I wimp out at the Seated Inclined Reverse Raises and only do sets of 12 instead of 15.

Triceps and abs are next. My lower abs twinge and then I remember that those are menstrual cramps so I say, the hell with it, and do Twisting Sit Ups and Lower Ab Kickouts. But I hold back on the Tricep Press Downs because I'm worried about landing on my face if I do push ups at kickboxing. The Mat stretch is much much better today and I'm happy that my left hamstring/glute is just barely sore now. It feels good to be back to normal. Which in my case, is probably always a tad sore, and always a tad tired.

Today's Total Workout:
45 min = 4.99 miles
Smith Bench Press: 4 x 25 @ 95 lbs
Cage stretch & kicks
Front & Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Seated Rear Inclined Dumbbell Raises: 5 x 12 @ 20 lbs
One-Arm Tricep Dumbbell Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 130
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 150
Tricep Press Downs: 3 x 12 @ 40 lbs
Mat Stretch

The scale reads 107.8 and I'm mildly disappointed. When I get home, the EatSmart scale tells me worse: 106.4 lbs, 19.1 BF, 52.6 TBW, 38.4 muscle, 4.6 lbs bone. My weight, body fat and total body water have some sort of relationship that's a big mystery to me. I know that the differences seem ridiculously tiny, but I still find it puzzling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...