Wednesday, November 14, 2012

It's a Sin to Love a Workout So Much

I had, to paraphrase Pink's hit song Blow (Me One Last Kiss), a sh*t day, or rather, a sh*t morning. Until I got to the gym. Ever since Hurricane Sandy, people have been driving in a daze, as if they've inhaled entire packages of antihistamines or taken other stupid pills. There was the woman who made a U turn in the middle of a busy intersection but couldn't quite pull it off without driving into the shoulder. The car was a Subaru, which means it has a tight turning radius, so driver incompetence was responsible for the broken K-turn that took a full 5 minutes to complete. Or the guy who just stopped his truck in the middle of the road to check his phone. Or the woman who couldn't figure out how to get on the highway and kept cutting in front of people because she was always in the wrong lane. I don't honk my horn but I am cursing under my breath the entire time.

And then I got to the gym, hopped on my favorite Precor elliptical and knocked out my two sets of cardio because it's Leg Day. I get 8.11 total miles and I'm happy. Not quite delirious but close. Smith Squats are next and my right knee feels a bit off so I lean forward a tiny bit more. The Dead Lifts again take my breath away, and I find myself crouched over panting between sets. I keep my hoodie on the entire workout because my hair is making me crazy flopping in my face all the time.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min hill = 4.01 + 35 min intervals = 4.10 Grand Total = 8.11 miles
Smith Squats: 12 @ bar / 6 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Smith Dead Lifts: 5 x 12 @ 95 lbs (I don't pull up as high today in order to spare my golfer's elbows)
Cage stretch & kicks
Ab Crunch Station: 2 x 50 (uppers) / 2 x 50 (lowers)
Seated Leg Curl: 3 x 15 @ 90 lbs
Seated Leg Extensions: 6 x 15 @ 45 lbs (maybe I should up the weight a teensy bit)
Mat stretch

I feel really good now and I can't help but think that it's the extra cardio I do on Wednesdays that makes the difference. The scale reads 108.4 lbs. I have a ton of errands to do, including getting a hair cut (nothing drastic! but my hair's out of my eyes now!) and cheap gas (20¢/gal cheaper than local gas), and buying new sneakers for my son. By the time I get home, it's nearly time to meet the school bus. The home scale reads 105.8 lbs and again, the rest of the readings are in line with past readings. I've had a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...