Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Candied Bacon

When my son got off the school bus yesterday, two girls popped their heads over the railing and asked if I'd make them candied bacon. This morning the same girls asked if I'd give them candied bacon for Christmas. This afternoon the school bus driver asked me how to make candied bacon. What a lot of fuss over bacon and brown sugar!

I spent this morning running errands for a friend laid up from hip replacement surgery and got to the gym an hour later than usual. It's Leg Day! I'm always surprised when the cardio section isn't busy but I'm happy to be able to use my favorite Precor. The first 35 minutes gets me 4.02 miles, and the intervals gets me 4.37 miles. I'm grinning before the first leg is even halfway over, and the second leg is exhilarating. I'm such a cardio junkie.

The skin over my back and glutes has been itching me for months now, and I'm wondering if this is a symptom of menopause, or just dry sensitive skin due to humidity changes, or perhaps, dare I suggest, muscle growth. Squats are relatively easy. I've squatted heavier but because my pants feel snug in the seat, I'm not inclined to up the weight although I've squatted 115 lbs before. Again, dead lifts are another matter. I'm always tired after I do them and I've never been tempted to up the weights! Dead lifts are a whole body exercise, and because I raise my elbows to bring the bar to my chest, it also works shoulders and arms.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min hill #5 = 4.02 + 35 min interval #7 = 4.37  Grand Total = 8.39 miles
Smith Squats: 12 @ bar / 5 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Smith Dead Lifts: 12 @ bar / 5 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Seated Leg Curls: 3 x 15 @ 90 lbs
Seated Leg Extensions: 6 x 15 @ 45 lbs
Ab Crunch Station: 2 x 50 (uppers) / 2 x 50 (lowers)
Mat Stretch

The gym is fairly empty today and I'm surprised. But I'm always surprised that no one else works out as regularly as I do. There are the senior citizens who meet here every morning. They get in much earlier than I do and I've no wish to hang out with them. I don't think I'd get much out of conversations with them, and without chatter, I get a lot done in the time I'm here. The scale reads 110 lbs before I rush off to finish the errands I started. By the time I get home, it's 3 pm. My home scale tells me that I'm 107.2 lbs. I check the last several Wednesday readings and note that I was about 107 last week as well, but 105-6 in previous weeks.

One of my errands was to buy some Power Ball tickets. It's up to half a billion dollars. That's a lot of candied bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...