Tuesday, June 4, 2024

A Slight Tricep Modification

The smart dog is in the dirt
It's hot. Too hot. Hot for June in the northeast and I'm not happy. Neither are the dogs, but it's at least shady and cooler in the morning when we go to the park. Today there are dog friends so everything is good. But it's still too hot. It was hot yesterday as well, but yesterday I had a glaucoma appointment where I complained about how my eyes have been bothering me. The IOPs are good at 13/14 though. And I can see all the tiny letter on the eye chart as well and the background hasn't suddenly changed color from grainy yellow to grainy pink.

Even the doc can see that the skin is swollen around my eyes, and very tight and dry. She tells me to stop the Timolol for 2 weeks, and then to try a different version of the same drug. I have a follow up appointment in 6 weeks. My current Rx is generic but apparently the name brand is also covered by my insurance. I'm shocked. Because my insurance routinely objects to all sorts of medications and tries to substitute other drugs even though it's in my history that those drugs have either stopped working, or I'm allergic to them. 

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to do with the sealed, unopened 1-month supply of Timolol that I already own. The pharmacy isn't allowed to take it back and refund my money. They can only put it in a discard pile. What a waste! I want to donate my unused meds to people or animals who can use it because not everyone can afford their medication! I'm thinking of bringing my meds back to my doc at the next appointment because maybe they know of a charity that can use this. I've emailed a few senior dog sanctuaries as well: dogs can get glaucoma, and they can use timolol. Suggestions welcome, readers!

She also tells me about a new implant that dispenses the drug Latanoprost. Now, I've taken Latanoprost as an eye drop for years (it's a prostaglandin analogue like the Travaprost my insurance doesn't want to cover). Somehow, having the med dispensed inside the eye makes it more efficacious. But the doc has to see if insurance will cover it. Of course. 'Cuz it might be considered too "new." Non-glaucoma patients will know Latanoprost as that drug that makes your eyelashes longer/thicker although there is some evidence that Bimatoprost works better for that purpose.

I get to the gym early enough to snag an elliptical. Yaaay me! It's hot outside and the a/c is struggling to keep the gym cool. I've resigned myself to doing poorly but the cardio actually isn't too bad. I've improved a tiny bit on the pull-ups as well. But of course, the little voice in the back of my head tells me that if I were lighter, this would be so much easier. Well, maybe.

I get my Seated Cable Rows done, but I spend a lot of time between sets starting at my phone. Sweat keeps dripping off my nose onto the floor, and my phone when I look at it. With my earbuds in, I'm fairly oblivious to everyone around me and the gym is starting to fill up with kids and fat old men. So I'm a bit shocked because I don't notice right away when young man with great shoulders/arms asks me how many sets I have left. Because I'd just finished my last set and was logging the data. No one ever talks to me. I probably should've asked him if he'd been waiting long, but naw... besides, he was smiling so it was all good.



A flat breaker bench is available but the 30 lb BB is missing from the rack. I get some wipes for the bench and the bar is back. I'm very happy to take advantage of coincidences. Just like sitting at the cable rows and the pin is already set at 50 lbs. I used to alternate sets of Skull Crushers and Rip Skulls, but I'd take a rest between the two movements. Last week I did a set that started with a Skull Crusher immediately followed by a Rip Skull and called that one. Got all 12 done in one motion with no rest. I think this might actually be less stressful on my wonky elbows although I don't know why. Weird, right? Three sets of 24 total reps and I'm good to hit the Aerobics Room. Nothing exciting or different there... Back tomorrow.

4 June 2024 11:08-1:05
Blistering Tuesday sans Timolol 

Precor elliptical #2
Program 1
Time: 30+5 (5668)
Distance: 2.86
Cal: 319
Avg Hr: 153, 189-95
Fitbit: 51-142

HGPU 15

Seated Cable Rows
50 lbs x 15
60 x 15
70 x 15, 15, 15

BB Skull Crusher/Rip Skulls 30 lbs
12/12 rip/skull combo x 3

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
10 x 2 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg ea
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 2 min 30 sec


No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Week

I'm so tired that I'm glad I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go today after a lot of procrastination, so I got there late...