Monday, June 17, 2024

One, Two and Still Waiting for Three...

Maybe the imminent heatwave is three? One was realizing late Thursday that we had no water. An inspection of the well tank in the basement revealed an alarmingly low level although the tank was whole. It's 25-years old, which is apparently way past its prime so it's due for replacement. I called my plumber but the answering message sounded strained and unwell. I called again Friday morning but no one ever called back. 

I got a referral from a dog park friend, and that plumbing service showed up within a few hours. But I'd already had to buy gallons of water just to flush the toilet Actually, I went to the dog park, which is closer than the store, to borrow a few empty gallon jugs out of the shed and fill them at the dog park spigot. But some of the ancient idiots who also frequent the dog park decided to tidy up the shed by crushing and tossing most of the empty containers. I found them in the trash can. Which meant they weren't going to be recycled either. Ugh. Luckily, the plumber figured out that the well pump controller had rusted out and could be replaced. But my tank also needs replacement, so that's in the works for next month. 

Two: one of my pups got injured at the dog park on Saturday. And before anyone sounds off about dog parks being dangerous places, this accident was due to an idiot human, not any canine playmate. Who the hell throws a stick into a pack of running dogs having a zoomie moment? Never mind that they felt bad afterward. The stick hit one of my dogs in the face, he cried and his eye swole shut. The perpetrator, still being an idiot, tried to apologize to the dog by grabbing his collar to inspect his face and pet him. Idiot. 

I don't know how many times I need to tell people you need to let a dog decide whether they want to deal with you. You can't force yourself on a dog and expect a positive reaction. Luckily, the pups were fine at home, ate their normal meals, and after several hours, the swelling went down. The fact that said doggo can leap up and snatch bits of pup cookies out of the air tells me his depth perception and vision are unimpaired. Meanwhile, both pups have their annual exams (with shots) tomorrow, requiring pre-medication with sedatives tonight and tomorrow before their visit. That's going to be fun. Not.

My grandmother used to say "Things Come in Threes." So I'm waiting for the 3rd thing. Maybe it's the heatwave. Maybe its the oral surgeon consultation in a few days for my kid with errant wisdom teeth growing at 45 degree angles. Or maybe it's the poison ivy I'm sure my dog gave me since he likes to root around in the weeds looking for tasty grass to nibble.

It's hot today and the heatwave hasn't arrived yet! I get to the gym later than I'd like. Two of the ellipticals are already occupied, but the other two machines have been fixed so I don't have any issue pedaling on #3. And because it's already scorching outside, the a/c is full blast today. I like that. This morning, I started the new prescription drug Timoptic, a name-brand version of the preservative-free timolol maleate. 

My glaucoma doc is firmly believes that the name brands are better quality than the questionably compounded generics, and maybe I'm not allergic to this better quality drug. The pharmacy didn't want to fill the Rx because to them it's the same drug. Except that it's technically a new prescription. Yes, details matter! So they had to fill it once I argued with them. Now I get to see if I'm really allergic or not. Meanwhile, I also get to re-experience all the side effects, like lowered heart rate. Is it going to impact my cardio workouts?

common milkweed
Today, cardio was hard, but not horrible. Pull-ups were okay but I've done better. Still, it wasn't as bad as it could've been. Waited for the Senior class to end by sitting down at Seated Cable Rows and doing that routine. I saw the scruffy chin half of the unhappy middle-aged couple from last week. I think she bailed on him. Kids continue to trickle in. A pair of tiny, scrawny HS girls chatter about wanting to use certain machines that are already occupied. They whine at each other and eventually leave. Good grief.

I'm glad I eventually got to lay down in the Aerobics Room with fans and a/c. My first few exercises work really well to loosen stiff hips, especially hip bridges. Glutes start off tight and sore but eventually relax. The rest focus on core and supporting muscles. Finally, Wall Squats are all quads, supposed to be good for lowering blood pressure (still not convinced it works well), but at least I made it the full 2 minutes 30 seconds this time.

gypsy moth larva
Not making it to the gym tomorrow. Not going to be fun driving my pups to the vet, especially since one tends to bounce off the seats even while medicated. My car is old but the a/c works so I'm thankful about that. The milkweeds are starting to bloom and I'm hoping to see more monarch butterflies. So far only one last week. And two tiger swallowtails visiting the honeysuckles in the hedges. Oh, the gypsy moth caterpillars are out. And they look kinda big.

17 June 2024 12:09-1:48
Blazing Monday it’s gonna be a heatwave week
Started new Timoptic eye drops

Precor elliptical #3?!
Program 1
Time: 30+5 (5636)
Distance: 2.85
Cal: 317
Avg Hr: 154, 190-82
Fitbit: 58-140

HGPU 15 + 2/2s

Seated Cable Rows
50 lbs x 15
60 x 15
70 x 15, 15, 15

20 Hip Bridges (1:21)
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
20 Hip Bridges & 20 one-leg ea
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 150 sec

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Week

I'm so tired that I'm glad I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go today after a lot of procrastination, so I got there late...