Thursday, June 27, 2024

Fighting Inertia

The mix of heat, high winds and heavy rains, plus a disrupted sleep schedule is taking a toll on my exercise enthusiasm. I had planned to hit the gym yesterday but I easily acquiesced to my kid's request to buy elastic ribbon from a craft store two towns over. Temps peaked in the mid 90s and we, including pups, were more than happy to stay inside the rest of the day and not exert ourselves too much. 

Heavy rains last night once again pummeled the milkweeds. Those not already supported by tomato cages and peony fences have flopped over. Their thick stems are rigid and the blooms make them top-heavy. This morning I gently pull fallen stems upright and rest them upright against sturdier specimens. The bees are already busy but the fritillaries tend to come later in the day as the sun lays low in the sky.

I get to the gym late today and two out of four elliptical machines are already occupied. I'm concerned that taking yesterday off has slowed my body's adaptation to the timolol. I feel like I'm dragging a bit. Later I check my stats against Tuesday's and see that I'm actually doing better. Whew! My heart rate is still too low but better than it was. When I say it's too low, I mean it should be closer to 135-40. At this lower rate, the FitBit doesn't really register the exercise properly and thinks I'm on a fast walk. Uh, nope. I also don't like the fact that I'm tired so quickly after a dozen pull-ups but I don't know how to fix that. Adding Seated Cable Rows for strength should be helping, but it's not. Maybe it's making it worse?

There's no Senior Class today and I'm taking my time. At the cable row station, Mr and Ms UnHappy are back, with him doing some muscle-ups, and her looking sullen while climbing up on a platform to reach the pull-up handles. The Cable Rows go well and I feel pretty good for combo Skull Crusher/Rip Skulls. This area is now awash in teenage boys and I have to pause between reps as they pass perilously close to my bench. After my three super sets, I look up and most of the boys have moved on to the machines.

The Aerobics Room isn't as cold as I'd like. There are other people in it as well, and the pile of mats is a total mess, as if a dozen people just threw them into a vaguely designated corner. All the exercises are routine, even the Wall Sit. I'm tired and hungry when I leave the gym, but I do feel so much better: calmer, and more clear-headed.

My husband is apparently done with his night shift at JFK for now and he's home next week because it's a short week, with the July 4th holiday spanning both Thursday and Friday into the weekend. I'm instantly apprehensive. Is he
going to remain sober, or do I have to brace myself for wishing I was anywhere but in my own house when he goes on a drunken rant and stumbles through the house like an angry toddler having a temper tantrum. Or maybe he'll remain sober, and I'll be cautiously pleased. My anxiety levels are already rising. 

And for no reason, here's a quick video of my dog's toes twitching in his sleep... 

 
27 June 2024 12:23-2:07
Thursday & disrupted sleep

Precor elliptical #3 (12:58)
Program 2
Time: 30+5 (5636)
Distance: 2.86
Cal: 318
Avg Hr: 151, 205-76
Fitbit: 52-126 (?!)

HGPU 13+ 2/2s

Seated Cable Rows
50 lbs x 15
60 x 15
70 x 15, 15, 15 (1:27)

BB Rip / Skulls Crusher combo 30 lbs
(Each set = 24 reps)
12/12 reps x 3 sets


20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
20 Hip Bridges & 20 one-leg ea
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 150 sec (2:07)


No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Week

I'm so tired that I'm glad I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go today after a lot of procrastination, so I got there late...