Tuesday, June 11, 2024

One Earbud is Better Than None

I got to the gym a bit past noon and was surprised that it wasn't more crowded. The kids didn't show up until nearly 2 pm. I dig my earbuds out the bag and note that the case didn't light up, which is unusual. Then I realized that the left earbud didn't work, although I could still hear my tunes out of the right earbud. Not sure if the earbuds just needed charging, or if it's more serious. So I have music, but only at half volume. Which means I can hear all the ambient noise around me, like conversations, gasps and coughs, the clunking of weights and the groaning of knees.

I'm surprised that cardio is slightly better than yesterday, considering I'm back to just five and change hours of sleep. Not for lack of trying. However, I did neglect to have sleepy tea although I was physically in bed before 1 AM. I just couldn't sleep in spite of being tired. I didn't have an problems doing cardio today, although I felt lopsided, and very self-conscious about singing to myself. If I can hear other people, can they hear me too? There's no Senior class and temps outside are pleasant in the 70s. Unfortunately, that means the gym is warm and stuffy, and there are pockets of human stink in corners of the gym. 

The HS kids haven't swamped the gym yet so I have access to most of the weight room. But I'm only doing BB skull crushers/rip skulls before hitting the Aerobics Room. It's pretty much one set of 24 reps, alternating seamlessly between skull crushers and rip skulls. Somehow, this is easier on my delicate, wonky left elbow. That's the elbow I turn out 45 degrees when doing push-ups because any closer to my body and it clicks painfully. The Aerobics Room isn't any cooler, which is disappointing. I do everything in my routine, except that Wall Squats are harder today. Not screaming quad hard, but harder than yesterday. 

While I'm there, Biz Gal (the regular who is able to shower and change lightning quick), is doing a routine with DBs, an exercise ball, and some yoga steps. Then her phone alarm sounds and she puts everything away. That's the first time I realized she uses an alarm, because normally I've got both earbuds working. Normally I don't hear anyone or anything! I'm hoping that fully charging the case will solve this issue, otherwise I'm stuck with going back to wired earbuds and hoping my iPod nano doesn't short out (from moisture) on me while clipped to my clothes.

After the gym, I tried hunting down the sleep gummies I sampled last week. The CVS where I got the free sample (and a coupon) not only didn't have them in stock, but told me they were phasing that brand out of their store. That seems counterproductive. I guess corporate dictates the coupons and free samples, and each store does what it wants? Actually I was kind of relieved since CVS tends to be much more expensive than other stores, even with coupons. I go to the RiteAid and while they have a whole shelf for the brand, they don't have this one particular product. Then, out of curiosity (because I have this sleep aid in my Amazon shopping cart online in case I can't find it locally) I check out the ShopRite. Because I'm going to buy that Croissant Bread!

It takes me a while to scan all the shelves but when I finally locate the product I'm shocked and pleased to see that it's on sale. By half. CVS wants $20 for a bottle of 60. Online, there's a sale: buy one, get one free. That'd make them $10 a bottle. And then I'd have to have it shipped to me. Ugh. Amazon wants $14.79 and tries to goad you into a subscription for slightly less money. Think a few pennies. The ShopRite has it on sale and a bottle is $8.49 (normally $16.50). I see there's a digital coupon that I didn't load, making the cost $7.49. For the same 60 count bottle. They don't expire until next January. This is an incentive to stock up, right?

I guess I'm buying a few bottles since they seem to work, and they're the only 5 mg (per gummy) melatonin supplements with theanine. I note that there are other brands, but only one also contains theanine, but with lesser melatonin amounts. And for much more money. I did manage to use a lot of coupons to buy a 4-pack of Ensure Max protein 30 gms for $2.49 (normal retail is roughly $14) at the CVS, and the Job Lot has shelves of Creamy Peach Ensure for $4.99. That will expire next month. But Creamy Peach is a pleasant flavor. Not like Cherry Cheesecake. Blech. Still, the Vanilla is the best, and tastes like melted ice cream.

11 June 2024 12:19-1:51

Earbud Dysfunction Tuesday
sans Timolol & short sleep (5h 20m)

Precor elliptical #2
Program 2
Time: 30+5 (5690)
Distance: 2.88
Cal: 321
Avg Hr: 154, 194-80
Fitbit: 57-150


BB Rip / Skulls Crusher combo 30 lbs
(Each set = 12+12 or 24 reps)
24 reps x 3 sets

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
10 x 2 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg ea
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 150 !!! Gritting it out


No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Week

I'm so tired that I'm glad I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go today after a lot of procrastination, so I got there late...