Friday, June 21, 2024

Still Too Hot

Well, I got to the gym late but at least I got there. One of the towns has been sending kids home from school early because none of their buildings have a/c. I remember wilting at my desk in late June, waiting for school to be over and the open windows offering no respite from the heat. That was over 50 years ago in the Bronx, and unfortunately, some scenarios remain the same. (I believe my town has installed a/c in all their buildings, although not in every classroom.) 

I have to drop off some samples at the vet before going to the gym. There was a concern that one of the pups had contracted a different tick-borne disease in spite of being on the monthly Simparica Trio. Luckily, there was enough blood drawn to send some for further tests and the results are negative. Whew! He has dropped half a pound, probably because he doesn't like to eat when it's hot. And it's been hot. These pups relish the winter temps. Can't even imagine living in a place hotter and more humid than it is now!

The parking lot is crowded but the gym doesn't seem to be. I'm able to get on elliptical #2 and I'm very surprised that my cardio mileage is as good as it is. I seem to have adapted to the new eye drops since the HR is both higher and lower. The drops still make my eyes incredibly sensitive to all my other eye meds so I've decided to change the order I administer them. Instead of applying the Timoptic first, which then makes the rim of my eyelids burn when I use the brinzolomide (generic Azopt), I switch the order. 

This way I can at least "enjoy" one set of drops before my eyes start complaining. The brinzolomide is a white suspension, akin to using White Out. Kidding. But not really. Pilocarpine is still last because it always feels like I've squirted myself in the eye with grapefruit juice. It physically causes the pupil to contract and restrict light. Wide open irises tend to show increased pressures, so night time IOPs tend to be higher.

Pull-ups are serviceable. I manage to squeeze myself onto one of the Inclined Breaker benches in the DB area. There are a lot of HS kids there already since school let out at 10:30 this morning. My face is bright red and sweat is literally dripping off the tip of my nose. I do get all my sets done though. Yaaaay me. The teenage boys spend most of their time on their phones and very little actual effort pushing weights. They've already moved on to another station by the time I'm done. 

I'm in the Aerobics Room  but not alone. Men I've never seen before are there, each one stretching and doing planks by themselves. It's mid-afternoon by the time I leave to do a quick bit of grocery shopping. I'm already stressed by the news that my husband has been told to commute to JFK airport for all of next week. So, he'll be home instead of being in Boston, and driving each day. 

His personality becomes horrible once he starts drinking. Every conversation, no matter what it's about, devolves into him accusing me of being evil and unpleasant. I texted him about our kid's upcoming wisdom teeth surgery and I got a monologue that ended in him accusing me of turning him in to the fascist state. WTF?! So I muted him. Today he'll behave like nothing ever happened, that he's never texted or said nasty, bitter things.

I can ignore him when it's long rambling text messages. It's harder to ignore him when he's stumbling through the house and I wonder what he's going to break, or if he'll fall down the stairs again and break something other than his hand. Which he's still going to physical therapy for, and that injury occurred last November. Because he was drunk. He hides tiny liquor bottles in his cargo pants, lies to me when I ask him if he's been drinking, burns godawful incense when I tell him I can smell it on him. 

He thinks I can't tell when he slurs his words and his eyes get squinty. When he's loud and laughs weirdly. When he starts screaming "Kill him! Kill him!" and worse, at whatever he's streaming and starts pounding the desk and throwing things across the room. The dogs hide. I feel trapped in my own house, so I console myself by figuring out when I'm going to sell it and move far away. 

I won't even tell him. Just leave with the dogs, if they're still alive. Probably after my kid graduates and is settled with a job and his own life. Because I cannot see living the rest of my life with him, with this anxiety and stress. He doesn't think he has a problem so he's not interested in changing. And I'm not interested in growing old like that.


21 June 2024 12:28-2:20
Sweltering Friday 92+°
(Timoptic allergy symptoms)

Precor elliptical #2 (1:06)
Program 3
Time: 30+5 (5688)
Distance: 2.87
Cal: 320
Avg Hr: 153, 195-82
Fitbit: 53-134

HGPU 13+ 2/2s

Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incline Flys
10 lbs x 25/15/25 warm up
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 x 25/15/25 x 3 sets

20 Hip Bridges (1:54)
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
20 Hip Bridges & 20 one-leg ea
Quick Child’s Pose!
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 150 sec aka 2 min 30 sec

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Week

I'm so tired that I'm glad I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go today after a lot of procrastination, so I got there late...