Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Not Even Summer Yet

My kid and I had to take the pups for their annual exams yesterday so they needed to be medicated the night before, and the morning of. Gabapentin alone for the smaller pup didn't really have any noticeable effects, but the combo of gaba and trazadone for the bigger dog proved to be more effective, and slightly amusing. I watched the dog wander through the living room with his head tilted as if he were tracking trails in the air, not that he'd ingested anything hallucinogenic. Still, he needed to be muzzled for his exam as a precaution, but at least it didn't require 3 techs to hold him down. 

It was hot and I had the a/c on in the car, but dogs would rather have open windows. Which causes a painful drumming in my eardrums (wobbling air pressure?) so I crack the driver side window to equalize the pressure, and this negates the a/c. But I don't need to do this ordeal again until next year. Pups survived and are fine. Although I think one of them gave me poison ivy because he likes to graze on wild grass along the roadside and there's a lot of the noxious weed everywhere that's green.

It's hotter today and I'm miserable, not only because it's hot but also because the full side effects of the Timoptic drops are becoming apparent. My eyes feel swollen and dry. The weals have reappeared between my eyes and the "bridge" of my nose. And I'm having a terrible time pedaling the elliptical today. According to the FitBit, my peak heart rate was 118. That's ridiculously low. The first quarter (7.5 minutes) of my cardio session felt like I was pedaling uphill underwater in corn syrup. This means I don't even make it to 2.8 today.

I'm barely able to muscle through a dozen hammer grip pull-ups and I'll count the last two as halves. Today is Juneteenth, a Federal Holiday that is only sporadically celebrated. Banks, schools, the stock market, and the post office are all closed. Which means the parking lot is crowded because everyone is at the local cinema next door. It's the best place to go when there's no school and it's really hot outside. The gym isn't too crowded at first but gradually fills up with kids. The Senior class is still on schedule.

After cardio and pull-ups, I decide to do triceps first and then back/biceps via rows, just to change things up a bit. Oddly, my triceps are already a little sore, maybe from wrestling with the dogs yesterday? Maybe because I'm thoroughly warmed up, the Seated Cable Rows go smoothly and without any issues or worries that I'm losing my strength. I enter the Aerobics Room and the Senior class instructor has just loaded all the chairs onto a dolly to cart out. Otherwise, there is no one in the room and I have it all to myself. I lose count during Dead Bugs so I don't know if I did 5 sets or 7. Ugh. However, Wall Squats weren't at all bad today, and I'm surprised.

Tomorrow I take my kid to the oral surgeon for a consult about those pesky wisdom teeth. It's still going to be blisteringly hot and it's not even technically summer yet. I think living in a hotter climate would really kill me. Maybe I'll make it to the gym tomorrow. Because a/c is a wonderful thing.

19 June 2024 11:12-1:17
Sweltering Wednesday Juneteenth
(Timoptic allergy symptoms)

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 30+5 (5402)
Distance: 2.78
Cal: 306
Avg Hr: 148, 189-73
Fitbit: 54-118 (!?)

HGPU 13+ 2/2s

BB Rip / Skulls Crusher combo 30 lbs
(Each set = 24 reps)
12/12 reps x 3 sets

Seated Cable Rows
50 lbs x 15
60 x 15
70 x 15, 15, 15

20 Hip Bridges (12:42)
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
20 Hip Bridges & 20 one-leg ea
Quick Child’s Pose!
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 150 sec aka 2 min 30 sec (1:14-1:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Week

I'm so tired that I'm glad I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go today after a lot of procrastination, so I got there late...