Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Turkey Day Eve

Schools are half day right before a major holiday so my son will be back home about three hours after boarding the bus. The gym is cold and I feel sluggish while pedaling the elliptical. It's not very crowded today. After a decent set of pull-ups, I head to the Aerobics Room to do my core routine. The doors are closed which is unusual. When I enter, I'm greeted by a big goofy blonde lab. The gym owner's dog! His daughter is back from college and somehow both she and the dog are at the gym. (The dog is much better behaved than my own two rascals, and because he's a lab, he's ultra friendly but as wide as a coffee table. My own pups tend to be lean and a bit leggy, like wolves.) Gym owner is setting up battle ropes and assorted DB stations for the Hump Day Boot Camp class that starts in an hour.

I've warmed up enough to take off my hoodie, which is good because I don't want to put my face on the mat when I do Child's Pose. While it's not advised for glaucoma sufferers, I do it so briefly that I don't think it'll hurt my eye pressures. And the stretch helps with lower back issues, which sciatica invariably is. My sciatica has been dormant for months now, even on the road trip up north, so I'm happy to continue with my exercise and stretch routine.

Squeals of delight mean the dog is in the free weight area. But he's gone by the time I get to the Inclined Breaker Bench to do my shoulder routine. Just as well. Invariably, the warm up set with just 10 lb DBs is the hardest. Just 10 lbs and my shoulders burn, but it is a very effective warm up and then my shoulders don't hurt with the heavier weights. I also don't need to pause and manage 25 reps straight through for all three sets. Yaay me!

In the locker room, I'm already showered and dressed when B comes in looking unhappy. She complains that it's too cold inside. She's wearing her usual leggings and unusually, a skin tight long sleeve shirt. I tell her in my most monotone, disinterested voice that perhaps she should wear more clothes. Because, knowing her, she's dying to strip down to a tank top and flirt with new potential gym hubbies. And usually she complains about having hot flashes, but she's well into her 70s so I don't comment on that. She seems very unhappy that I'm not as indignant about the indoor temps, that I'm not sympathetic or commiserating with her. Truthfully, I just don't care and that makes me feel very serene, calm and just slightly amused. Maybe I'm just tired.

23 November 2022
Warming Wednesday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 30 + 5 (5572)
Distance: 2.83
Cal: 314
Avg Hr: 145, 192-76

HGPU 23

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga x 3

DB Incl Press s/s Lat Raise s/s Rev Inc Fly
10 lbs x 25/15/25 reps warmup
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 lbs x 25/15/25 reps x 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...