Friday, March 26, 2021

Post Shot One

The county department of health website allows you to check and see if there are any available appointments for the Covid-19 vaccine. The last few times I checked, I was given options ranging from driving out of state to New Jersey or as far away as Rochester NY. The closest sites appeared to be 40-50 miles away and I wasn't game to drive to Poughkeepsie or New Paltz. The nearest location in the county had sold out of appointments within minutes of posting 26 spots. 

I checked again several hours later and there was one opening if I acted right away. Someone must've canceled! So instead of waiting weeks to get a shot, I got one yesterday. I'll have to go back in 3 weeks for the 2nd dose although I won't get an actual time slot until a few days prior. My arm is a bit sore but I am otherwise fine.

The nurses like to give the injection deep into the medial delt of the non-dominant arm. I'm surprised to find a smear of blood on the requisite bandaid when I peel it off this morning. The soreness is more than I get with the flu shot but definitely less than from an intense exercise routine. Which means I'm good to take the dogs to the park this morning in the fog and drizzle. And later, when the sun comes out and temps rise to a ridiculously pleasant 74F (in March in New York!), I manage to get to the gym. It's empty because most people are outdoors going for a run or a jog or a bike ride. Not me! 

The Intervals program feels particularly grueling today. It could be that I stayed up too late and didn't get enough sleep. (Or it could be a side effect from the vaccine.) I read an article last night that made me feel justified in not doing HIIT cardio every day. (Yes, I've felt guilty about not pushing myself harder, but that's just the "competitive voice" that a lot of us have.) The article suggests that doing too much HIIT cardio has a detrimental effect on cellular metabolism and health. Going hard all the time will break down your body until it can't function properly. 

The reality is that my body's immune system seems to depress with too much exercise, even though my mind is ready to put in the work. And the body appears to adapt which is rewarding. But just as I'm making "progress," I'll get sick. So there's a disconnect between body and brain. And there's a disconnect between the cardio & muscular body, and the body's other functions. Ugh. I just don't want to become weak and frail as I enter those twilight years. 

My mask is soaked from sweat and hot exhalations so I'm happy to swap it out for one freshly laundered. The Aerobic Room is comfortably air-conditioned and there's no one in it. I'm still finishing with the Pigeon Pose even though I can feel my glutes develop soreness right as I sit. Before heading into the locker room, I stop at the Stretch Cage and sneak a few pull-ups. That makes me feel better about myself. Can't do those too often though: I'll develop elbow and/or forearm tendinitis. 

I had every intention of doing a delt/shoulder workout this week, but that's because I had no expectations of being able to snag a vaccine appointment. I'm not the type to jump the line by making up a pre-existing condition (like some people I know). But it's comforting to get the vaccination before younger, healthier people since the age requirement has been dropped to 50 in NYS. It's different for every state. The sore delt doesn't really preclude the exercises, but should I have a reaction, I'd like to know it's the vaccine and not the workout (although I haven't gotten sore from this shoulder routine in a ghastly long time). 

24 March 2021
Sunshine Post Shot 1 Friday

Precor elliptical
30 min + 5 cool down
Program Intervals
HR 90, 184-136
Cal 328
Distance 2.92

Crunches x 20 x 6
Piriformis Stretch
Happy Baby stretch
10 Dead Bugs x 4
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Push-Ups 50
Mat stretch w Pigeon pose

Sneaky HGPU 17

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...