Friday, March 12, 2021

Tiny Steps


This post is late. My sciatica is slightly better today but still very present. I read more on causes and relief. Some of the advice is laughable. For instance, one "expert" states that sciatica is caused by sleeping in the fetal position and the cure is to sleep on one's back, going so far as to suggest placing pillows alongside to prevent inadvertently rolling onto one's side during the night. Nice try but no cigar. While bending at the hip and curling the spine (fetal position) does stress the area, it isn't the cause of sciatic pain. That would be inflamed nerves due to a bad disk or horribly sore muscles. Standing and walking (upright) are the most comfortable positions lately.

Once I'm warmed up, and that is hours after I've struggled to get out of bed and get myself dressed, I'm okay to walk around and exercise. Who knew putting one's own socks on could be such an ordeal? Later in the day, it is almost effortless. 

I avoid the movements that are currently aggravating, such as pedaling backward on the elliptical. I'm not sure why the backward motion causes a spasm in my left lower back but it's probably a muscle imbalance or weakness. Normally, I can pedal backward much faster than I can pedal forward but I'm not "normal" right now. No one wants chronic pain to be their normal. But maybe I'm doing myself a disservice by continuing to exercise and stretch. A lot of stretching is bad for sciatica, especially for flexible people like myself.  

I can still do push-ups but limit it to just 25. I cut out one of the elbow planks. I'm able to do most of the Mat Stretches but my glutes are sore when I limp out of the Aerobics Room. At least I can sit more comfortably. Because there's almost nothing worse than not being able to sit especially when bodily functions call to you first thing in the morning. 


11 March 2021
Sciatic Thursday

Precor elliptical
35 min
Program 3
(Left hip knot on the reverse)
HR 127-161, 116
Cal 302
Distance 2.76

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
Happy Baby stretch
10 Dead Bugs x 3
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Mat stretch et al

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...