Monday, March 1, 2021

In Like a Soggy Baa

Weather reports are claiming that March has come in like a lamb. A very wet lamb. With temps peaking in the 40s, it's warm enough to melt a lot of the snow, but not all of it. Temps will drop into the teens tonight, which will make for slippery walking at the Bark Park. We didn't go today. Instead, after seeing my son onto the later-than-usual school bus, I went to the gym. Rain and fog the entire way there. 

I'll take the pups tomorrow, and if the path is still icy, I'll test out the YakTrax Pro shoe grippers that my husband has had boxed away in the garage. He bought two pairs for himself and our son for Scout troop winter hiking, but he's never actually used them. I've heard the distinctive clink of ice-grippers as people walk past the Bark Park and have wondered if they're better than the claw-like cleats I remember from my childhood. Those weren't particularly effective because you really had to stomp on the ice to pierce the surface. If anything, the cleats just lessened the amount of surface area you actually were in contact with, making the ice all the more slippery... sort of like ice skates. And I don't skate. 

I do go to the park after the gym, but only to renew my Bark Park membership. It's $30 for the year, which is well worth it: the park supplies poop bags and waste cans; has repaired fences damaged by fallen trees; and provides general maintenance. (I still keep my own poop bags in my pocket.) I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to pay the resident's annual fee because that only applies to people ages 4-59, and I'm going to be 61 in a few short weeks! Yes, being "old" is still shocking to me! Next week, my brother and I will be the same age for an exact week. He's sent me a gift which I've tucked away until it's actually my birthday. I sent him a Trekkie t-shirt and some hard-to-find jelly nougat candies (they look like Japanese erasers) from our childhood. I hope he'll be as tickled as I was to find them. 

The push-ups didn't feel too bad today although I've got to stop holding my breath when I do them. I just haven't figured out how to inhale when pushing myself up. I don't want to do it when lowering myself because the ground is awfully close to your face on the down. I also haven't figured out how people manage to look at the wall in front of them instead of the ground when doing push-ups. My hair flapping on the mat is also really distracting. 

There are a bunch of regulars at this hour but the Seated Cable Row stations are both vacant. I sneak in a set of hammer grip pull-ups before I do the rows and manage one more rep. Yaaaay me! The Seated Cable Rows feel heavy though, especially the last reps. Well, duh... 

There's no rain in the forecast for the rest of the week, so pups will be happy. Even if there's no one to play with at the park, they're still happy just run around and snarl like wolves... 

1 March 2021 Wet Lamb Monday

Precor elliptical
35 min
Program 1
HR n/a
Cal 325
Distance 2.90

Crunches x 30 x 4
Piriformis Stretch
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Bent Knee Glute Kickbacks 25 x 2
Plank 60s
Pushups 50
Mat stretch et al

Sneaky HGPU 16

Seated Cable Row
70 lbs x 15 reps
85 x 12
92.5 x 10, 10, 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...