Friday, February 8, 2019

That Hollow Feeling

Rain and fog this morning. The gym isn't very crowded when I arrive. I get on the elliptical and once again amuse myself with the heart rate monitor. My pulse drops to its lowest rate (85) during the height of the 3rd high-intensity session. It also peaks at its highest rate during that session as well, tripping past 200 bpm. What I find interesting is that the lowest HR isn't when I first get on the machine -- my pulse is about 129.

I've increased the intensity of this program slightly. The 4 minutes of high-intensity break down as 1 minute "go as fast as you can" (about 230-270 SPM aka Strides per Min) followed by 3 minutes of moderately fast pedaling (160-170 SPM). It's useless to link the intensity level to heart rate what with cardiac lag and Raynaud's syndrome. This week I've increased my pace during those 3 minutes to about 180-200. And I've slowed the 3-minute "active rest" period to 70-90 SPMs, down from 110-120. The only difference I'm able to discern when I'm done is that I have slightly more mileage. Well, that makes sense...

I knock out my pull ups without any issues, but I'm revamping my core exercises. I've noticed that my tummy protrudes below my belly button, and while women really can't help having that fecund shape (as evidenced in countless Renaissance paintings), I'm compelled to add at least one lower abdominal movement. No point in letting all those internal organs hang unsupported. Today I sneak in horizontal leg scissors between crunches and planks.

The StepMill is free so I spend 15 minutes there at a low speed: level 3. After 10 minutes, sweat is dripping off my nose. Again. I do another set of pull ups. They seem neither harder nor easier. For my last cardio romp, I have a choice of machines but I decide on the Octane. I'm also busting a good sweat after a mere 15 minutes here. And back for more pull ups. Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment as I zip up my hoodie and start lunge walking down the side of the gym. I'm breathing a lot harder at the end of this than after the Octane or the StepMill!

Before my legs can complain too much, I adjust the Prone Leg Curl machine and proceed to do my 2:1 sets. The first set is easy. The second one is easy until rep 5. Then it gets progressively harder. It's the same for the third set. I'm done, more or less. Except for one last set of pull ups. I'm not struggling at the end, I'm just tired. I know this because, after rep 20, I just hang for a second and then get my chin to the bar one more time.

In the locker room, I'm overcome by an odd feeling: hollowness. I'm totally spent. I only drink water during my gym time, and usually workout "partially fasted" since half a cup of coffee with cream and sugar is still caffeine, fat, and sugar. So yes, I'm normally hungry when I've finished a workout, but not usually "empty." This is a totally different feeling, and I don't experience it very often. My routine doesn't seem to be costing me any muscle mass or strength. (But I can't push as hard as I'd like because of my glaucoma issues. Good thing I'm not a powerlifter.) I've got a cooler bag in my car with a cold 16 gms of protein RTD, and my vitamins. That'll hold me until I get home where I can mash half an avocado into some whole wheat toast and top that with a few crushed cloves of garlic. Yum!

Rainy Cardio Friday

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 282
Miles 2.63
HR 130-203 (95, 85, 105)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 22

Push Ups 50
Crunches 30
Leg horizontal scissors 50
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

15 StepMill
Speed 3
Total Steps 530
Floors 33
Calories 84
HR 134

HGPU 20

15 Octane + 2cd
Default setting
Calories 109
Miles 1.48
Steps 2052
Floors 34
HR max 126-138 (67)

HGPU 21

Walking Lunges
27 x 2 = 54

2:1 Lying Leg Curls
(Head up due to pressure)
20lbs x 12 each leg x 3 sets

Quick Cage Stretch
HGPU 21


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...