Friday, February 1, 2019

Persistence

It's been two days since I was last at the gym. This morning the thermometer reads 4 degrees lower than last night. It's 7F. Well, at least the numbers are positive, unlike a day ago. I drop my son off at school. He's been home for two days and eager to see his friends again. Tomorrow we plan to go to the City of Science exhibit and meet up with other friends.

The gym isn't very crowded when I arrive. Because I'm cold, I wear an extra layer under my hoodie: a sleeveless workout vest. Even after 10 vigorous minutes on the elliptical, I'm not really warmed up. There are a lot of people in the free weight area so I grab a pair of 5 lb DBs and plant myself on one of the breaker benches. I still have my hoodie on and it stays on until I'm standing in front of the lone working Nexersys.

The other machine is still broken, but this one looks like someone has at least wiped the screen clean. The Power Dig is also still broken, but the Sweep sensors seem responsive today. I do 7 rounds with the sleeveless vest and I don't bust a sweat until the end of the 5th round. I take my vest off and do another 7 rounds of Intermediate. The screen blanks 4 times, but only sounds the Hitting Too Hard Warning once. The machine also seems to be skipping some of the programs and repeats other programs. But I can't tell that until the session ends and I'm able to view the program number listed on the score sheet.

I feel good. Good enough to strip off my hand protection and do a set of pull ups. It's been 3 days. I get 25 without any issues. Now I'm happy too. I still have a few errands to do, and not because this weekend is SuperBowl Sunday. I want to use my coupons before they expire.

At the supermarket, I see shampoo on sale. I like using coupons with sale items, and I have one worth $3.00 if I buy two bottles. The sale offer is "Buy 2 and pay $5." With a $3 coupon, each bottle is just a dollar. I have other coupons for other sale items. The cashier at checkout is annoyed with the woman in line ahead of me because the coupon doesn't match the item she's buying. She's so annoyed that she refuses to scan my shampoo coupon and tells me that I don't have the correct items. I tell her I do and hold up the bottles. She refuses to scan the coupon and hands it back to me while muttering that I should read my coupons better. WTF? The man behind me is literally breathing on the back of my head, he's that close. I feel pressured to exit the store, or at least that particular check out line.

When I get home, I review my receipt and make a decision to go back to the store, but this time directly to Customer Service. Yeah, I'm that person. The person who will chew on something that doesn't make sense and look at it six different ways. I'm the one who questions everything and has no problem going back to ask why or why not. Sometimes it works out. I ask the fellow behind the counter to explain why the coupon isn't valid. No, it's valid and he doesn't understand why the cashier had any issues. He hands me $3 cash. Yaaay me.


Frigid Friday

10 min elliptical
Calories 89
Miles 0.81
HR 149-190 (81)

T, Y & I Raises
5lbs x 15 x 2

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

Nexersys FM
Beginner 7r
Intermediate 7r

Quick Cage Stretch
HGPU 25

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...