Monday, February 25, 2019

Back To Nature Isn't Always Healthy

My husband and I joined our son at a Scout camp this weekend, ostensibly to partake in some indoor climbing activities. We had a heated cabin, which is considered a luxury compared to tent or open shelter camping, and our Troop was providing most of the meals. There was a small kitchen with a working mini-fridge and a propane stovetop. There just wasn't any running water. So, no sink or bathroom facilities.

Normally there's an outhouse somewhere along the trail. We had access to a fully modernized bathroom, but you had to hike to get to it. It's not a bad hike unless you don't know where you're going. Following the deer tracks in the mud and icy snow is entertaining for a while, but eventually, you just wish you were there. What this teaches you is timing. You have to give yourself enough time to get there! What this also means is that you limit how much fluids you drink, especially if you're female, because while boys can always run off into the woods in an emergency, it's decidedly messier and more complicated for a girl, especially during inclement weather.

Holding your urine isn't considered good for your bladder even though it's a muscle, apparently because that exposes your body to bacteria for an extended amount of time and can lead to UTIs (urinary tract infections). So much for that ridiculous old statement that urine is sterile! Of course, if bacteria is already in your urine, doesn't that mean that it's your own bacteria?

Sleeping in a cabin that hasn't been properly cleaned since the Autumn can aggravate asthma and allergies in some people. The bunk beds have wire spring pads lassoed to the metal frames and they squeak no matter how you lay on them. We all brought sleeping bags and some of us also had fleece bag liners and pillows from home. The cabin was heated with a jet-engine sounding propane heater with an overhead duct. Temperature would drop just low enough to feel cold and then the heater would roar to life and stay on for several minutes. If you stood in the right place, warm air would blow over your head.

My back knotted up from the bed, and I didn't sleep all that well, mostly because I'm a light sleeper and wake at every noise. All the food is canned or boxed and highly processed with a high sodium content. Most camping food is like that, and not really the healthiest choice for meals. The adults did partake of bagged salad with dressing but the boys were happy to ignore all fresh produce.

Without a faucet and working sink, we had to boil water that had been carried in from the pump in a 5-gallon jug, soap and rinse our pots and pans, then toss the water outside the cabin. Still, it's better than trying not to burn your food over a campfire. The only thing the boys know how to cook (and eat) at campouts are burgers, hotdogs, and pancakes. Not really the healthiest choice in meals.

We enjoyed ourselves, but we were really happy to return home. Today, I'm back at the gym, and I'm definitely tired. I used my doorknob roller on my upper back several times last night before I got the knots sufficiently resolved, and I went to bed too late. At camp, lights out at 10 PM. At home, no such directive. It's Monday, and that means HIIT cardio followed by a Push routine. Thank goodness I had a cup of fresh coffee this morning! During core, I add one more movement, just to test it out: a same-side knee to elbow plank movement. In 60 seconds, I manage 40 in total. It's okay. Not sure if I'll keep it.

I see regulars in the free weight area, including Big Tank. I'm impressed that he can actually do pull-ups at the MaxRack station because he's got a massive upper body and I've never seen him do anything except chest and arms. My right elbow has been sporadically tender all weekend so I'm cautious during Smith Inclined Benching and I don't up the weight. Next week I'll cut the reps and add another 10 lbs. DB Laterals and Reverse Inclined Flyes have become a routine with 1 set at 20 lbs and the additional 3 sets at 22.5 lbs. I keep my elbows bent to take stress off those delicate joints and focus on my delts during the raise.

There are more women here today, and a Body Pump class is in full scream mode. Thank goodness for earbuds! I'm totally gratified seeing the muscles in my arms while I'm doing lateral raises. I know I've put a lot of body fat back on (just saw some old selfies from 2012 of my abs -- OMG, I did have abs once upon a time) but at least I feel that all is not totally lost. I was probably 107-108 lbs so that's only 5-6 lbs from where I am now. Admittedly, it's really hard for me to maintain that level of leanness because I'm not naturally a skinny person or even a thin person! But I am able to put on mass and maintain it. Still, I'd like to be less chubby.

The last two exercises focus on triceps: Rip Skulls and V-bar Pressdowns. The benches get moved around the gym so some days they're closer to other equipment and other days they're closer to something else. There are only 3 breaker benches and two of them are occupied. The third one is set precariously close to the plate tree. Ugh.

The bench is too heavy for me to scoot back so I just hope no one is an idiot and tries to pass by while I've got a bar in my hands. I'm lucky today. The skinny lost HS boy walked by between sets and then realized how ridiculously close the bench is to the plates and wisely walked around the other way afterward.

I even do sets of V-bar but at this point, my arms are shot and I can barely get reps after I hit 40 lbs. Good enough. I wonder if I'll be sore tomorrow. After a mat stretch, I'm looking forward to a nice hot shower! I'm also really happy I've got a Ready To Drink (RTD) in the car with my vitamins since I really hate having to cook lunch just to take supplements -- I can never get enough protein and always have too many calories, but perhaps I'm cooking the wrong foods?

Monday Post Scout Camp

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 284
Miles 2.64
HR 134-188 (93)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 23

Push Ups 50
Crunches 30/40
Scissors 50
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Knee to elbow Plank 60s (40)

Smith Inclined Press
(60degree - sore rt elbow)
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 13
70 x 12
90 x 12, 12, 12
60 x 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20 lbs x 12/15 reps
22.5 x 12/15 x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
(Happy with 8+) elbows
40 lbs x 12, 10, 12

V-bar triceps press down
20 lbs x 12
30 x 12
40 x 11
45 x 5
40 x 6
30 x 8

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...