Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Fresh After A Long Weekend

What I enjoy most about long holiday weekends, like every school kid knows, is being able to sleep in. I check the sleep app on my phone and find several nights of unusually deep sleep. I've also started remembering odd and colorful dreams, one most vividly about adopting a dog named Otto. But in my dream, the adoption itself was a dream, and Otto belonged to someone else. I still remember what he looks like though, not a dog I'd normally consider -- small and extremely furry, like a border terrier. However, if one should stray into my path, I'll think he's meant to be mine.

I get up around 9 or later when I don't have to drive my son to school. I'm not a morning person by any means. Lots of online articles make that sound like a bad thing because their studies show night owls have less "brain connectivity" -- we're not as mentally sharp as our early riser kin. That's just great. (Click here to read about it in more detail.) But I'm in a much better mood and feel more productive now that I've had enough sleep. That counteracts all the negativity.

Today, my son's school (and the surrounding area schools) has a single day off for Winter Break. Today I sleep in. Eventually, I get to the gym. The morning crowd has come and gone, but there's still a wall of people on the treadmills. Luckily, none of the ellipticals are busy. I do my HIIT cardio, watching as my pulse rate drop to its lowest point (113) during the last minute of the 4th peak. So weird. Also a bit disconcerting to watch it zip from 129 to 179 and back down to 150 in a matter of seconds. It's like tracking a pinball in an arcade game.

It's been three days since I did pull-ups and I'm curious as to how many I can get today, crossing my ankles and keeping my body as straight and still as possible. I count 25, but the last rep I only got the bar to my lips. Close enough! There's no noon class so I have that room to myself for push-ups and core. I like the way the mirrors make my selfies look: positively svelte! And absolutely not how I really look IRL.

I've been reading about the latest study about studies involving firemen and how many push-ups they can do in a minute. Apparently, if they can do 40 or more, they have great cardiac health and very little chance of suffering from heart ailments in the future. But if they can barely eke out 10, then they might have some issues. I'm thinking "If they can barely eke out 10, how are they passing the fire department physical?" Of course, this study only applies to men.

Now that there are women in the armed forces as well as the police and fire departments, will there be a study to see if the "40 push-ups test" is applicable to them too? It has taken forever for some ridiculous mythologies to be dispelled such as women are too weak to run marathons or lift weights, women don't suffer from heart attacks, women's complaints about pain are signs of hysteria. The list drones on... Still, I'm tempted to time myself to see if I can knock out 40 in a minute. I routinely do 50 push-ups, but I have no idea how long it takes me. I'm curious. Aren't you?

Back in the free weight area, I see that the Smith machine is free. Yippee me! I do my sets of Inclined Presses and realize that these aren't as hard as I remember. Part of that is due to me lowering the bench so that the incline is closer to 30 degrees instead of 45. The gym is crowded because the afternoon crowd has arrived. The Mayor looks fatter and older than I remember. He's also slightly quieter. There are a lot more HS boys, but I recognize other regulars, a few of them women.

Checking my notes from last week, I add the 2.5 lb magnetic discs to each of the 20 lb dumbbells for my DB superset. I'm trying to work up to 25s but I'm not in any rush. I catch a glimpse of my arms in the mirror walls and in the right light, I can see some fierce triceps and delts. I do wish I was leaner, but that would involve dieting. Ugh. Not one of my strengths. I could end the workout here. It's late already and I have other things to do. But I see the cable station with a lat pulldown handle and just have to test out the technique that Gym Owner showed me last week.

On my tiptoes, I can just grab the handle and pull it down to my chest, insert the pin into the stack to anchor the cable, remove the handle and replace it with the V-bar and then remove the pin. Yes! My arms are pretty fried, but I still manage to get some decent reps. I look at my arms and see ashy flakes covering my upper arms. I had even doused myself with cheap Suave skin cream this morning before I dressed, but when you have IV (ichthyosis vulgaris), you have to routinely exfoliate and apply heavy-duty lotions with alpha hydroxy and other skin scale dissolving chemicals. Dry flaky skin is an everyday normal occurrence. I don't apply the expensive Amlactin cream until after I shower after my workout.

Not sure if I'll get to the gym tomorrow. Winter Storm Petra is on her way, promising a messy afternoon. I have to drop my car at the dealership to get my passenger airbag replaced. They've promised me a loaner. Not sure if they'll be done in time for me to get my car back tomorrow before the roads get icky. Meanwhile, depending on road and weather conditions, chances are good there'll be early dismissal from school tomorrow and perhaps an hour or two delay Thursday morning. Yep, all parents of school-age kids here play this guessing game during the winter. The school district has been better at making their announcements though, and text, email, and call by the evening instead of waking everyone up at 5 AM. At least they're doing one thing right.

Tuesday After Prez Day

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 280
Miles 2.62
HR 150-200 (113)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 25

Push Ups 50
Crunches 30/40
Scissors 50
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12
90 x 12, 13, 12
60 x 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20 lbs x 12/15 reps
22.5 x 12/15 x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40 lbs x 12, 12, 12

V-bar triceps press down
20 lbs x 12
30 x 12
40 x 10
45 x 6
40 x 6
30 x 10

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...