Friday, February 22, 2019

Banish Fatigue with Exercise!

Last night, I inadvertently went to bed way too late. One AM is not my usual bedtime! I was busy trying to make copies of the health forms needed every time a Scout goes to a camping event. Since our combination printer/scanner/copier is ancient, it took a while before I could get it to obey that specific command. The chain stores no longer carry printer ink for this model and buying them on Amazon is becoming prohibitively expensive, as in, I could buy a brand new combo machine for what I've spent on the different ink cartridges over the past 6 months. I've read all the home printer reviews several times. Now I just have to actually hit the Buy button...

I still got up in time to get my son to school, and hit the gym. I was a little worried about how spacey I'd be since I hadn't nearly enough sleep. But, I was actually okay. Doing something intensely cardio not only gets the blood moving, and the body warm, but oxygenates the brain and releases great hormones like endorphins. Of course, when I was done, I was ravenously hungry and really tired. It's a good thing my workout routines are just that: routines. I don't really have to think too hard to do them, but that doesn't mean I don't try to put in 110%. You only get out what you put in.

Incorrect date but I can't
fix that. Not sure what other
data is incorrect either. 
This would explain why some people just don't seem to make any progress. It also explains why some of us will actually succeed when all the literature says we won't. Don't do HIIT cardio before lifting. Don't just do a lift just once weekly. Don't skip supplements and extra protein. Don't workout without PreWorkout Powder. Ugh. It's all marketing hype, geared to make you think you need to buy oodles of product and follow their programs to the exact letter. No, the trick is to find out what works for you specifically and tailor the routine accordingly. A routine's no good if you can't actually follow it with any consistency, and most of us gym rats will agree that "consistency" is the magic word. This also means that a consistently half-ass workout will give you half-ass results.

It's warm enough today that I'm suddenly drenched halfway through the Beginner rounds. One round is particularly flakey and the screen blanks 4 times, once without me even striking any of the pads. I get a Hitting Too Hard warning as well. None of these occur during the Intermediate rounds. But I am disappointed that the most complicated combination is Jab/Jab/Cross/Power Dig. I know for a fact that there are other combinations, but they never come up anymore. The computer sensors are old and the software programming is hinky with no hope of updating. Still, I enjoy myself. At the end of 14 rounds, I'm tired and sweaty. I'm going to sleep well tonight.

Whacking Friday

10 min elliptical
Calories 86
Miles 0.80
HR 151-175 (121)

T, Y & I Raises
5lbs x 15 x 2

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15
Cage Stretch

Nexersys FM
Beginner 7r
Intermediate 7r

Mat Stretch


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...