Thursday, November 8, 2018

Whacking Thursday

I guess I exude that badass don't mess with me attitude when I work out. I'm not really aware of it except when other people tell me. I do realize that I have to force myself to smile when I take selfies, otherwise I've got that stern disapproving look that reminds me of my father. He was a definite badass, with his 5th degree black belt and horrible temper. But I don't really want to look like my father, so I force myself to soften that resting bitch face and impose a vague happy look. I feel like an idiot when I do it, but that's probably not a big surprise.

Today is a routine kickbox the machine day, starting with a quick cardio warm up and the requisite T, Y and I dumbbell raises. I see B chatting with a really big bald guy with a tribal arm band tattoo. She talks to everyone, mostly because she's got to be the center of attention. I still say Hi, but I've stopped having actual conversations with her. She has a way of making you feel bad by recommending something, but at the last minute she'll say, "Oh no I'd never wear/do that." So, it's good enough for you, but not good enough for her? After a few times, you get wary and decide there's no need to subject yourself to that. I finally decided that she was too toxic for me when in the middle of a conversation, which was mostly her recounting a tale of woe, she stopped in mid-sentence to tell this tale again to someone who had just entered. I left without her even acknowledging how rude that was. Uh, yeah... I don't need that.

At the Nexersys, I decide to up my game: 7 rounds of Beginner and a mere 3 rounds of Intermediate. That's 2 rounds more than last week. The good news is that I don't actually start sweating until round 3 Beginner, and my lungs feel fine until I hit the Intermediate rounds. I'm so glad I only set myself up for 3 rounds Intermediate. The machine is back to its usual tricks. The screen goes completely blank for a moment with a Power Dig. The dead chip in the Lead Dig ruins my score for combos like Jab/Lead Dig even though I make both blows correctly. It only registers the Jab and gives me a big fat zero for the combination. The Cross chip is getting wonky as well. It's too sensitive and I get the Warning: Punching Too Hard screen more than a dozen times today. It thinks I'm punching over 200% of whatever normal is suppose to be. Yet, the Jab only registers a measly 98%. Ugh. At some point I'll return to 7 rounds each Beginner and Intermediate. Maybe I'll even get to test myself on a few rounds of Advance before the kickboxing machine totally breaks down...

I'm trying to correct the finger positions of my right hand to minimize the bruising between the ring finger and pinky knuckles. For some reason my thumb gets in the way when I close my fist, but this isn't an issue with my left hand, and I'm not sure why. The moleskin works well to prevent serious bruising and my hands look fine when I unwrap. I'm happy that I can knock out push ups afterwards and I've even upped the reps.

In the locker room I greet V, an extremely personable realtor. Another woman, tall, thin and blonde pops in, says Hi and then runs out. V confides to me that this other woman has been harassing her to become a client. Ugh. My gym doesn't allow members to solicit clients since it can provide trainers who are trained and certified. V tells me that she saw me doing pull ups today, and she's so impressed. So few people, so few women are able to do them. I tell her it's all in the back because people mistakenly believe they need arm strength. V says that she finally told the pushy trainer-wanna-be that her sister is training her. I don't know who her sister is, and V promises to point her out to me next time. No one has ever tried to recruit me as a client, but I think that's mostly because I'm a badass and everyone knows it.

Whacking Thursday


10 min elliptical
Calories 90
Miles 0.81
HR 147-190 (79)

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Mid Band Pulls 15

High Band Pulls 15

Nexersys FM
Beginner 7r
Intermediate 3r

HGPU 23

Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...