Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Alarms Awry

I had already decided last night that I was going to go a few rounds with the Nexersys at my gym today. What I hadn't expected was to be awoken by the sound of boulders hitting the inside of a huge dump truck across from my driveway at 7:35 am. 7:35?! My alarm should've woken me an hour earlier but was strangely silent. I check my phone. Yes, everything is set properly but yesterday the phone kept losing battery power unexpectedly, draining down to 46% with little usage. Ugh. I suspect that the issue is that I've been putting off updating the phone's IOS. I have an older 6+ model so the bells and whistles for the 7 and up don't apply. I habitually put off updating software as long as possible, usually until some of my apps refuse to work properly. I hadn't expected the phone itself to lose basic functionality! Ugh.

I wake my son and hurriedly drive him to school while I'm still in pajamas. Fortunately, he only misses a minute of the first class. Today's a half day anyway, as is always the case before a major holiday. When I return home, I put my phone back on the charger and reluctantly update the operating system. The battery is behaving normally now. I'm happy for such a simple fix, but annoyed that I'm being forced to update. It's one of the things I don't like about Apple products, as much as I love their phones, tablets and workstations. And the ill-fated Zune just couldn't compete with the iPod Nanos, which sadly, Apple has discontinued. Ugh.

The parking lot is crowded when I finally arrive at the strip mall where my gym is located. But I suspect the gym itself isn't very crowded. I did my grocery shopping yesterday. Everyone else has waited until today. I'm determined to whack the machine and proceed with my warm up routine. I am, however, unexpectedly sore from the past few days. Even my knuckles are sore, which puzzles me. The shoulders, back and chest make themselves known, but not enough to dissuade me from proceeding. And I'm skeptical if being sore is going to make any difference whatsoever.

I do the same Follow Me program as last week: 7 rounds Beginner and 3 rounds Intermediate. At some point I'll feel fit enough to increase the Intermediate rounds to 5, and then to 7. Then, I'll drop back to 4 and add 2-3 Advanced rounds, just for combo variations. Yes, I've thought about this a lot. I just wish the glare wasn't so bad from the big plate glass windows behind me. Ugh.

Again, I only feel really warmed up 3 rounds into the Beginner level. But I'm more tired than usual, and feel my lungs burn intermittently. The machine itself is alarmingly shaky, with an odd wobble, as if something's not quite bolted securely. Uh oh. However, I don't blank the screen or get any Hitting Too Hard warnings. Either I'm really tired (and slipping) or the machine is a little different today. I don't know who whacks it in the evenings. I never see anyone on it during the day. After a few minutes rest, I return to tap in 3 rounds Intermediate level. These rounds all make my lungs burn! I'll have to build up better cardiac endurance! But I can't really say that my arms are spent from punching, even with sore delts.

Not that my arms aren't tired. I squeeze out my hammer grip pull ups but can't make it past 24. And the 24th rep was just me getting my mouth to the bar, but I'm still counting it. I do a quick stretch before leaving because I still have to pick up pies from the farm shop at Salinger's Orchards. And my friend who hurt her back shoveling, has asked me to pick up a Carvel ice cream cake for her cousin who is coming up to visit her for Thanksgiving. It's the cousin's birthday. And, because I'm going to the farm to get my pre-ordered pies, my friend asks if I can pick up a pie for her as well. Luckily, the bakery is pumping out pies very quickly, so I don't have to wait long before they restock the shelves with freshly baked straight from the ovens. I also get a cheddar and chive scone for my friend so she can taste what a good one is. Sorry but those scones at the British tea shop don't have any flavor compared to these farm ones!

Once I get home, I have to wrap presents for my cousins' kids since tomorrow is the only time we'll see them. It'll be fun. But it's a long drive, and it'll be bitterly cold. Thank goodness for car heaters and warm coats... Happy Thanksgiving!

Wacky Humpday

10 min elliptical
Calories 96
Miles 0.85
HR 160-194

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15


Nexersys Follow Me
Beginner 7r
Intermediate 3r

HGPU 24

Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...