Monday, November 5, 2018

Making Hay While the Sun Shines

Sunday was the only day that was clear and bright. It was also a perfect day for stacking firewood. I had logs split over two years ago and the pile had been sitting within a giant tarp ever since. Some of the wood isn't any good anymore, spongy and soggy. One of the wood racks had deteriorated to the point of uselessness. I drag two ancient pallets to the middle of the yard and start stacking some of the iffy wood on the bottom, and the better wood on top.

Eventually my son joins me to help stack. We're not great at it so the pile eventually becomes a pyramid of sorts. I'm not sure how those lovely rectangles of firewood are created, but the composite sticks all seem evenly split. My pieces are of haphazard sizes. Oh well. Today, I manage to drape a tarp over it, secured with cinder blocks and over-sized soggy logs. It's been drizzly all day, but tomorrow it's suppose to really rain. Ugh.

My hands are sore from clutching logs. Is this going to impede my workout? I guess I'll find out. My workout is fairly routine starting with cardio. No stress on the hands here. I'm always amused by the drop in my HR down to 105 after the second peak. This is the lowest it will go. Mostly it bounces between too high and too low, and never settles inside the "zone" which is approximately 85-95% of maximum (167.4) heart rate.

Even though my hands are sore, they still work fine when gripping the overhead bars in the Stretch Cage to do pull ups. I squeeze out 21 and feel pretty bad ass. Push ups and core are next. Happily, there's rarely anyone on the T-bar row machine. I've seen maybe one other person on it over the period of several weeks. I remember how hard it was to pull 45 lbs. The last time I went super easy because my lower back was still recovering. (It seems better now, but I won't be doing seated cable rows at 100 lbs with less than strict form.) Today the 45s don't seem that hard, so much so that I'm able to increase my reps for each set. That's surprising.

Next on my list are Lat Pull Downs, but the two stations are occupied. Instead, I reluctantly do Seated Cable Rows with the close grip neutral handle. It's the handle I had planned to use for Pull Downs. I do 3 sets slow and easy, with strict form. These feel a tad hard, but I still get my sets. Of course, it's just 3 sets. I leave the handles on the Seated Row when I switch to Pull Downs, and grab the mid-width neutral grip handle. These don't have the sticky decomposing neoprene handles. But the handles aren't attached at the end of a straight bar. Instead, they hook down a few inches. It's to allow bigger people to pull their arms back more as they bring the bar to their chest. My arms aren't long enough so I'm not able to touch my chest with the bar. Close though. Next time I'm definitely using the close grip handles.

I see a lot of familiar faces, mostly guys. I haven't seen Hollywood since last week when she was testing out Rip Skulls with the same 35 lbs I normally use. She did finish one whole set but it took her a really long time to do each rep. I wonder if she's just too busy now, or sore.

To finish I grab the 30 lbs BB and knock out 3 sets of high rep Reverse Grip BB Curls. Then some stretching. I know I spend too much time at the gym. It's been nearly 3 hours, but that seems to be the time required to do cardio, weights and stretching. Most people spend much less time here. Unless they're weight lifters. Then most of them spend a good 2 to 3 hours just pumping iron. But I'm not looking to bulk. I would like to be leaner though. My gym pants feel tight in the thighs today, and I'm not sure if that's because I'm packing on weight (ugh) or if it's just a reaction to the Pistol Squats from Friday. Maybe it's all the bacon over the weekend? Even low-sodium bacon has a lot of salt, and I'm salt-sensitive. Tomorrow's another day... hopefully a Push Day.

Dreary Monday

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 268
Miles 2.54
HR 134 (105-183)

HGPU 21
Push-ups 50
Crunches 30/30
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

T-bar Row
Bar x 20 reps
25lbs x 15
35 x 15
45 x 12, 15, 20

Seated Cable Rows (light)
(Neutral Close Grip)
70 lbs x 12 reps
85 x 12 x 3 sets

Lat Pull Downs (~med neutral grip)
70lbs x 12 reps
85 x 12 x 3

RG BB Curls
30lbs x 20, 25, 30

Stretch


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...