Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Back At It

It dawns on me this morning that perhaps I'm getting sick, even though I don't feel sick. I am a tad congested, but that can be attributed to the weird wet weather. I slept fitfully, even waking at 5:30 just to look at my clock and say, Oh good I've got another hour. And then, my alarm failed to ring. Ugh. Things in my house are sporadically failing to work, for no apparent reason. The dryer works today, but only 2 slots of our 4 slot toaster function this afternoon. I really need my phone to ring at 6:35 so I test it and change the ring tone, then add another alarm for 6:40 just in case. The alarm to warm up the car at 7:25 sounded without any issues though... Go figure.

I still got my son to school, and I went to the gym, although I spent 20 minutes in the car texting my sister in the parking lot. Her rescue dog Emily was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer. As a 10-year old Sheltie, she's susceptible to this rare disease, and with kidneys starting to fail, my sister doesn't want to put the pup on the recommended NSAID treatment because certain breeds (including Shelties) have adverse kidney reactions. A strong course of newer antibiotics has staunched her urinary accidents, and she seems happy. The vet gave her 4-6 months. Ugh.

I haven't had a flu shot in years, and don't plan to any time soon. I do take precautions, and because my son is in school, surrounded by other germy kids, he has had his flu shot. I feel tired, and sort of depressed, probably because it's still dreary outside. Later, the sun comes out and I feel better. But, at the gym, I decide that I'll do 30 plus minutes of cardio warm up before hitting the weights. I skip pull ups because my forearms are a little sore, and no one needs tendonitis. I barely get my 50 push ups done in the class room before the Zumba instructor marches in to adjust the temperature and blast music. Her class doesn't start for another 15 minutes, but I'm out of there fast. Instead, I find a corner next to the ball rack to do crunches and bicycles. There are two other people also doing planks and stretches there, which makes it feel crowded, and I'm not happy about that.

I am happy that the Smith is free, with the standard inclined bench. Even though it's smaller, I find that there's no good place to set my feet. You might think the floor, and you'd be right if your legs actually reached the floor. I can only get one foot flat and the other is braced tippy-toe, but I can still press the bar. It's very noisy in the gym between the shouts emanating from the classroom next door, the piped-in tunes, and the endless chatter around me. Today I realize that I'm not breathing properly when I press. Everything I've read says inhale as the bar descends and exhale as you press up, or as you're exerting. That seems natural. Except I seem to be doing the opposite, which makes it difficult to actually take a decent breath. I'm unable to correct the situation, even after 3 sets. But I'm okay when I do my high rep set. Ugh. Go figure...

The DB super set is actually easier this week compared to last week, not that it's ever easy. But I feel more like myself, especially with the Reverse Inclined Flyes. Rip Skulls have me hesitating because my left elbow got sore last week. But since my elbow doesn't actually hurt at the moment, I decide to try it again. Besides, the wrong handle is on the cable I'd use for V-bar press downs, which means I can't actually reach the short straight handles as they are way over my head. I'm just tall enough to grab the end of the V-bar, not so with other handles. Ugh. V-bar press downs used to be my alternative tricep exercise (as if I really needed bigger arms). I think DB kickbacks are worthless, and one-arm DB tricep press isn't practical (if you're worried about clocking yourself in the head). But my elbow is fine, and I knock out my 3 sets without any problems. Yaaay me!

There is a yoga class in session now so no class room to stretch out. The stretch space has Snow Bird doing something odd on an exercise ball and two ladders propped up against the wall. This space is also the entrance to the storage and supply room. Ugh. I grab two black mats and drag them across the gym to the Cross Fit area. There's not usually anyone there, and today is no exception. While I stretch, I notice a big bald guy on the treadmill chatting with a blonde woman. He's very pink and sweaty, with a muscle tank and lots of tats on his arms. When I look again, I realize that he's also carrying a big 45 lb plate while he's walking. Sometimes he holds it over his head. Well, I gotta admit, I've never seen that before.

I'm a bit relieved that the gym scale reads 112.6 lbs today. Whew! But still, I'm much too fat. More cardio, less food. Ugh. The dryer delivery is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, so looks like I'll be able to get a gym session in after all! Of course, the dryer works fine right now. Of course...

Regardless of what I do tomorrow, I'll have to give careful consideration to what sports bra I wear. Because these items are clearly not designed by women who work out. Yesterday, doing a Back (Pull) routine, and the hardware, i.e., the clips that allow you to adjust the bra strap length, were digging into my traps. And I don't have big traps! Ugh. Non-adjustable straps are more comfortable, but only if they're miraculously the right length for your torso. I hate thick straps since I obviously don't need the support, but skinny straps cut into your neck under strain. Double Ugh. It's always wonderful to find something that fits, then you have to remember where you got it, rush back and hope you can find it again in your size. Always hit or miss. Especially if you're looking for the cheap ones. Because I'm not spending $50 on a sports bra. Seriously.

Tuesday Blahs

30 min elliptical + 5 min cd
Program 2
Calories 295
Miles 2.73
HR 144-184 (113)

Push Ups 50
Crunches 30/40
Bicycles 50

Smith Inclined Press
Bar x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12
80 x 12
90 x 12 x 3 reverse breathing!
60 x 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20lbs x 12/15 reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
35lbs x 12 reps x 3 sets

Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...