Monday, January 29, 2018

The Briefest of Workouts

I actually left the before 9 am today! But of course, I had to squander some of my gym time doing things only a "good mom" would do. Like stopping off at the movie theater where my son met his friends yesterday for a birthday celebration — they watched Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. My son liked it enough to see it again. Most of his friends actually hadn't seen it but wanted to. Afterwards, we went to the pizzeria a few doors down. Once at home, my son took careful note of which friend gave him which gift card and for how much. He likes to reciprocate exactly in kind when that friend's birthday arises.

We were missing one card. That friend was at the theater with bright yellow card envelope in hand, but I never saw him give the card to anyone. That particular child also tends to lose things quite easily. His mom said he lost his winter coat this year. It's probably in the school Lost & Found. Probably. So this morning, I stopped by the theater (which is two doors down from the gym) to ask. The doors were unlocked, a cell phone was charging. Glasses and a purse on the counter. But no actual warm body anywhere. I walked around calling out "Hello! Anyone here?" even in the restroom, but no answer. Ugh. Waste of time. I went to the gym.

The gym is not actually as crowded as I thought it would be for a Monday. The cross-trainers are busy but no one's on the ellipticals. Let's get the dreaded Intervals (HIIT Cardio) out of the way. I have just enough time to do 30 minutes, a quick leg and lower back stretch and knock out a few pull ups before showering. It's not my best workout. I feel sluggish for the first 12 minutes. Seriously. Then, I need to shower because I have a dermatologist appointment at 10:40. It takes 15 minutes to drive to the office, and an additional 5-10 minutes circling for parking in the vast hospital parking lot. And I spent another 10 minutes at the movie theater again, this time with an actual person who walks me through the seating where the boys were. Nope. Nothing. No one turned in any birthday card envelopes. Figures. So, do I mention this to the child's parent? Ugh.

This is the quickest workout I've ever done and I feel a little guilty. But at least I got a prescription for the fluocinonide cream from the dermatologist. It's a topical steroid and the only thing that works when the delicate skin on my throat and neck get irritated, red and itchy. My dad had psoriasis and my sis has some eczema. So that's in my family and my skin is extremely sensitive. The doc tells me that he and his daughter also have ichthyosis vulgaris. I know it's a heritable condition but I didn't know if my son was capable of passing it on to his children, should he one day have any. Apparently not. The doc tells me it's a dominant trait, so if you don't have it, you don't pass it on. Yaaay!

I'm happy when I fill the prescription because two tubes only costs me a $10 co-pay. The doc warns me that it's a very strong cream, but then reasons that my tube of cream actually expired in 2012. I tell him that it worked fine, and I've only used it sporadically — I used up the last of it just last week. He also does a quick mole check, and says to keep an eye on that black birthmark on my foot. Well, duh. Not only is it hard to ignore, it's right under my bunion, so I'm super careful not to aggravate it with any undue friction.

Tomorrow the plumber says he can stop by before 9 am to look at the leak in my basement. My hubs got a replacement fitting for the piece that broke an hour before we were to go to the movies. Of course, it only sort of fits because the water softener installer used some weird device to fit 3/4 tubing to the fitting instead of the standard 1/2 inch. Of course. So there's a clamp that's not tight enough, with a ton of black electrical tape holding it together. But I really need a plumber to fix this right. Because when it broke, we lost the connection between our well tank, and the water softener which feeds the kitchen, laundry and bathroom. There's no way to by-pass it without major re-piping. My contractor neighbor tells me my copper pipes look stressed (what? they're 20 years old!) and I should replace them all with the plastic thermal PEX pipes: blue for cold and red for hot water. Sigh.

Meanwhile, my son gets home two hours after school started, because the water pump broke at school and there's no water pressure, hence, no water for bathrooms or the cafeteria. Ugh. If they don't get it fixed, there won't be school tomorrow either. I'm still going to the gym though.


Monday

30 min elliptical
Intervals
Calories 299
Miles 2.62

HGPU 26

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...