Friday, January 26, 2018

A Workout is a Workout No Matter How Quick


I always plan to leave the house earlier than I actually do. Today was no exception. I still got to the gym as the hour neared 11 even though I'd hoped to get there closer to 9. I'm not sure where those two hours went! I'm super pressed for time today: it's my son's birthday and I have a lot of things I need to do. Short on time, I sacrifice half my whack the machine rounds. Well, it's better than not working out at all, right?

I skipped the gym yesterday, updated my resumé, and scanned the job listings again for potentials. I'm ever hopeful, but it worries me that I can't seem to finish the exam to Book 1, which I started some months ago. After half a dozen questions I get distracted by the real and imaginary. Maybe I've developed mid-life ADHD? That would explain why the only times I feel focused are in the gym, when I can blot the world out and just be physical. Sticking to a workout routine is a lot easier than sticking to a mental routine of studying and composing, especially at home where household tasks seem urgent. How can I not do the dishes, the laundry, feed and walk the dog, cook meals and shop for groceries? Physically doing is much easier than most anything else. It's a different mode of thinking, more practical and reflexive. At least for me.

I get to the gym, do my warm ups and set down to whack the machine. But I don't have time for a full 14 rounds. I settle for 7 rounds Beginner, alternating between Sparring and Follow Me. It's a good workout. My knuckles are pink and bruised afterwards. I get 30 hammer grip pull ups at the end so I'm happy with that. Then after a quick shower and change of clothes, I rush off to get my son a single serve chocolate lava cake and other groceries, and negotiate a contract with the movie theater for my son's birthday celebration on Sunday. We're going to see Jumanji again, but with a slew of kids for his birthday. And then we'll go for pizza, even though my hubs has decided to go "no carb" because his clothes are getting too tight. I'm not arguing with him. No carbs means he can't drink beer either, and I'm willing to make zoodles (zucchini noodles) to help him drop weight, and alcohol.

I'm still logging my calories in to the MyFitnessPal app, but I'm not losing any weight. Of course, the scale is just numbers and I'll feel better once my clothes fit a bit looser, no matter what the numbers say. Today they say 111.0 lbs. Ugh.

Friday

10 x-trainer
Calories 48
Miles 1.33

T, Y & I
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

Nexersys
7r Beginner
4FM 3Sp

HGPU 30

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...