Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Creepy Old Guys

Before my workout
There was a two-hour delay before school opened so I got to sleep in a little. But I also had the plumber stopping by before 9 so not really sleeping in a lot. I got up at 7:20 instead of 6:30. The dog hasn't been feeling well and left a mess in the newspapers under his food and water bowls. Poor guy. He has a very sensitive stomach and reacts badly to change. Might be the Chow in him. Luckily, I got that cleaned up and him walked before the plumber knocked on the door. He managed to replace the problem fitting in about 30 minutes. Just in time for me to get my son up for school. Then to sweep and salt the walkway and driveway so that it's not a sheet of ice when temps drop into the teens tonight. Sigh.

I trail behind buses for the elementary schools because they run an hour behind the middle and high school. Which means I get to the gym at nearly 11. But the gym's not crowded either. A smattering of regular folks on the cardio machines, and a few old guys in street clothes wandering through "machine city". There's one senior who wears a long-sleeve button down with jeans and boat shoes to work out. I guess he doesn't sweat. There's another fellow wearing a polo shirt and board shorts, like he's going to smack a few balls on the court. I guess I can see the appeal to wearing a collared shirt if you're putting a barbell across your back. But otherwise, I'm not comfortable with sleeves (too binding).

As it is, the straps to my sports bra and tank top constantly need re-adjusting. Ugh. It makes me fantasize about designing the perfect workout wear for women. Seriously. I feel like I'm either tugging my pants legs down off my thighs, pulling the waist up, pulling the band of the sports bra down, or moving the straps off my traps. And trying not to catch the wire to my headphones in anything. The wire that's caught in my hair clip when I don't have to lie on a bench. Otherwise, the braid is loose and the wire sticks to the back of my neck and pulls on either one ear bud or the other. I see the attraction of Apple's completely wireless Air Pods!

Too much hair!
I do my cardio, and while it's not the worst I've been, it's definitely not great. But I'm warm when I'm done! Move on to basics and finish with core. By this time, the Smith is vacant. Yaaaay! I do my Inclined Presses, which feel okay. I stay light with the BB super sets because the shoulder was a tad twingey. Oh well. It's not like I'm competing or anything. I move to the DB area and drop my hoodie on the one Inclined Bench there. Two old guys are working out there. One of them is LoudMouth. I don't recognize the other one. I do three super sets which consist of DB Laterals with 20 lb DBs immediately followed by Reverse Inclined Flyes with 25 lb DBs. The old guys are one end of the rack. There are several empty flat benches between me and them.

But they don't want to share benches with each other. I don't know why not. One guy moves to the bench closest to me instead of the bench right next to his buddy, ostensibly because it's a shorter distance to walk to that end of the DB rack. Uh, if that 10 foot walk is going to kill you to get a DB, then maybe those DBs are too heavy for you. But I don't actually want to talk to them so I just get my sets done as quick as possible and move on to Rip Skulls. The old guys hover near the breaker bench where I'm doing my sets. I'm done in a few minutes and can't wait to escape their hovering. I do a full Mat Stretch, and then it's off to shower.

The gym scale hasn't budged in days: 110.8 lbs. I'm not sure what's going on. I am still tracking my food with MyFitnessPal. My hubs is still doing the no-carb keto diet. It's making him very adventurous with all sorts of different meat products, although he's reliant on boiled eggs because I can buy them cheaply. Today he tried andouille sausages. I might give them a try... I did splurge on D'Artagnan duck bacon. I'm saving that for Sunday brunch, when we can savor it with eggs and Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. Yum...

Tuesday

30 x-trainer
Calories 141
Miles 3.76
Average Heart Rate 144

HGPU 26
Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

Push Ups 60
Elbow Plank 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Elbow Plank 60s

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12
80 x 12
90 x 12
60 x 25
50 x 25

BB Front Raises s/s Upright Rows
20lbs x 15/16 reps x 3 sets

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12reps x 3 sets

2 comments:

  1. I got back under the bar last night for some squats. Only got 3x3@135 as the squad started to flare up, but that was my goal for the night. OHP went better even after the relatively long time off. 3x5@75 for the work set. BB rows were ok, at 130, and at least my form held up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great news! I guess the quad needs more babying though. But as long as it's healing, that's awesome! My hamstring hasn't been quite the same since a bad sciatica flare up months ago. Not sure it'll ever be normal again!

      Delete

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...