Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Easing Into the Pull

I really didn't think they'd cancel school today for the flurries we had this morning. Instead, they dismissed an hour earlier than usual. And all after-school activities cancelled. So no kung fu. And no Boy Scouts tonight. Because the school buildings will be closed. Well, at least the message from the School District admitted that they were taking an abundance of caution to be safe. In this litigious society, it's the only recourse.

I did go to the gym to do a super light Pull Day. First my 30 min cardio warm up, and then some core. Because no one ever says you can't do core every day. I know my forearms get sore when I do pull ups, but since I usually don't work out on weekends, or whenever we're stuck at home, I figure I'm not doing myself any real damage. I am a strong believer in getting thoroughly warmed up with cardio before doing any strength movements. Just doing a few warm up sets with a light bar isn't enough, in my opinion. I see people do this all the time at my gym, and I used to do it too when I was much, much younger. But I also got injured a lot more back then. Of course, it's no good if the warm up tuckers you out so much that you can't perform your routine correctly. You have to really listen to your body to gauge just how much you can do, and how much you need to do.

After cardio, pull ups, band pulls (to warm up the shoulders), push ups and lots of planks, I see no one at the Smith although there are still plates on the bar. People just walk away as if their mothers are going to clean up after them. Ugh. I know that 120 lbs caused me some worry last time, so I swallow my pride and just do a few sets at 80 lbs. It doesn't feel too bad, and I'm tempted to add a pair of 10s, but I resist. Let's see how my lower back feels later. However, I do a few sets of RG BB Rows at the same weight. Because that I can't resist. I'm also used to going heavier on this movement, but my lower back is actually just barely okay with this weight. No actual twinges, but I'm not going heavier right now. When I do a few sets of Seated One-Arm Cable Rows, I can feel tightness on either side of the back corner of my hips. Good thing I'm just doing a super light workout today.

I have some time so I add 20 minutes of elliptical Program 1. It gets me nicely warm again, because I've actually cooled down doing Cable Rows. My right foot is still an issue. This morning I felt my 3rd and 4th toes curl up slightly as I walked through the house. Ugh. I've been wearing my toe sock to bed and that helps a little. Online, I come across diagrams for neuromas and specifically Morton's neuroma, an inflammation of the nerves between the 3rd and 4th metatarsals. This probably explains the numbness I get when I'm on the cross-trainer too long, or have the wrong footwear. I need super padded insoles! Hammertoes only exacerbate the situation. Well, this foot's a mess, but I'm so disillusioned with the medical specialty field that it's going to take more than some temporary discomfort to get me to see a podiatrist. I had been wondering if I didn't have a runaway plantar's wart pressing on the nerves in question. I still might...

I get on my home scale this morning and I'm bummed to see that I've put on weight (110.4) but relieved that my body fat still says 15.9%. The only other change suggest I'm adding muscle mass, but all these numbers are too small to take too seriously. What I'm looking for are trends over a period of time. What's really weird though is that my measurements are all larger by 1/2 inch. It's a vinyl tape but I find it highly unlikely that it's shrinking in the cold... Very weird. I'm trying not to get discouraged. Seeing progressive weight and body fat loss is always encouraging. Less so when measurements seem to rise and fall like the temps around here.

More snow promised for tonight. We'll see if there's a school delay by 5 am. If not, then I'm going to whack the kickboxing machine for a few rounds.

Tuesday
5.46 total cardio miles

30 x-trainer
Calories 141
Miles 3.75

HGPU 26
Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15
Push-ups 60
Elbow Plank 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith RDLs super light
Bar (30lbs) x 15
80lbs x 12reps x 3 sets

Smith RG BB Rows
80lbs x 25reps x 3 sets

One-Arm Seated Cable Row
30lbs x 12reps
45lbs x 12reps x 3 sets

20 min elliptical
Program 1
Calories 193
Miles 1.71
Average Heart Rate 137 (178 max)

HGPU 26




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...