Monday, September 26, 2016

Zinc and Garlic

Between Sets on the Inclined Bench
My son was busy with Boy Scout activities all weekend, which thankfully, didn't involve me. I was having trouble getting motivated enough to do basic chores around the house. Suspecting that my allergy was in fact an actual cold in the making, I brewed a pot of chicken-pork-carrot-garlic soup for supper, and tossed in a cup of farro just for texture. Farro is a type of wheat but much chewier with a nutty flavor, and looks a lot like unpressed oats. It's pricey though, with a small 16 oz bag running about $4. But it's delicious. I tossed in a cup of taro-flavored tapioca pearls as well.

Finally heeding my own advice, I also started taking chelated zinc once a day. The next morning was the first morning I didn't wake with a sore throat from post-nasal drip. Hurray! A large nasty clot of blood and phlegm, however, soon exited my sinus cavity. And I still have a weird dry feathery cough. I'm also tired all the time. These are all key indicators of having a cold, even though I'm not sneezing and blowing my nose. I'm hoping I caught this early enough to actually prevent it from developing into a full-blown head and chest cold. I'm hoping it just goes away and doesn't linger for weeks until I finally give up and give in, and allow the cold to peak just so I can get over it. Sad, isn't it?

I get to the gym late because I have things to do in the morning, and the gym is eerily quiet. I've hit that magic period between the morning people and the lunch people. But it doesn't last. After 30 min on the elliptical, I grind through my pull ups, push ups and core work. I have to pause again at rep 80 for push ups, then at rep 90, rep 95. 100! Done! I feel weaker than I have in a long time. I hope it's the cold and not that I'm losing my strength! A lot of things happen to your body in your 50s, and most of it isn't pretty. I see much more obvious signs of aging in my face. My feet are behaving weirdly for no apparent reason, like trauma or ill-fitting shoes. Sigh.

I haven't even thought about trying to bench 130 lbs lately. I'm happy I can get a full set at 120 lbs. Really I should be pushing harder. But to what end? I absolutely don't want to risk injury. Maybe next week I'll look for those 2.25 lb plates and see how 125 lbs feels. Doing Inclined Bench Presses does seem to be working at promoting the illusion that I have a bigger chest than I really do. Well, at least I'm entertained by it. I take a break and glide into the class room to do my 22 push ups. Then back to the free weight area to knock out the DB lateral raises super set with Reverse Flyes. I feel done already, but I have time for some more cardio, and that last set of pull ups. Ugh.

I cut the cardio to 20 minutes but Program #2. I can't seem to commit to a pace, arguing with myself between going all out and doing LISS. It shows in my mileage. In total, I only make 4.24 miles today. I do my pull ups, a quick hamstring stretch and then it's off to shower and change. The gym scale reads 111.2 lbs. Not great, but not the worst it's been lately.

Monday Push Day

30 min elliptical
Prgm 1
2.56 miles
289 cal

Knee-Ins 50
HGPU 31
Push Ups 100
Crunches 3 X 50
Elbow Planks 2 X 45s
Bird Dogs 2 X 60s

Smith flat bench
Bar X 15
12 X 80, 100, 120
25 X 90

Smith incline bench
12 X bar
12 X 50, 70
12 X 80 X 3

Day 19. 22 push ups

DB Laterals s/s Rev Flyes
20 X 12/20 X 3

20 min elliptical
Prgm 2
1.68 miles
189 cal

HGPU 31

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...