Tuesday, September 6, 2016

First Days

Neither my son nor I got much sleep last night. He had slept until nearly 1 pm the day before so he was having trouble feeling tired at bedtime. Plus he was worried about all the new routines that going to a new school entails. I didn't get nearly as much sleep, but still got him up in time. And then I proceeded to get chores done before heading to the gym.

I'm feeling the sleep deprivation in an ugly way so I cut my first cardio session down to 20 minutes. Which means that overall, I won't be getting any great mileage today. My first, as an it turns out, my only set of pull ups are a decent 31 reps. Push ups suck and crunches and planks are standard. The Smith is vacant when I get there and that makes me happy. My right shoulder feels twingey though so I don't push any heavier than 120 lbs. I don't think those two rounds of Cuban DB Presses did anything to help me last week so I'm okay with not doing them ever again.

I do Smith flat bench presses and then Smith inclined presses. I've developed some upper pecs, which somewhat compensates for my otherwise flat-chested profile. I've also put on weight and of course, I'm not happy about that. (112.6 lbs!) But it's to be expected after a long weekend. At least I think I'm mostly balanced physique-wise. Over the weekend, I saw a guy at poolside who had a disturbingly ape-like shape. After discrete examination, I realized that he had extremely large front delts, but no pecs to speak of. His chest actually looked a bit concave. Overall, he was moderately muscular but those front shoulders threw everything out of whack.

After a few supersets of DB laterals and reverse inclined flyes, I finish with some moderate Rip Skulls. I'm leery of going any heavier than 40 lbs because I don't want to tweak my elbows. I punch in Program 1 on the Precor elliptical and work up a decent sweat. Today is the first day I've ever used actual Apple earbuds. They're okay. I've read that Apple's new phones will now be cordless. Yes, that's convenient because I hate cords. But it means Bluetooth headphones that requiring charging as much as the phones and pods do. I still have an old non-Bluetooth Apple iPod Nano.

I normally do a quick stretch and then a final set of pull ups after the cardio. Today, there's a puffy middle-aged man in the Stretch Cage. I check out the new Cybex torso rotation machine and do a few sets. The man is barely moving because he's checking out his phone. After 15 minutes of him in a vaguely stretch position, I give up and go to shower. I could've asked him when he'd be done (ahem, hint, hint), but I'm afraid that I can't actually contain how annoyed I am if I go ask him if he's actually doing anything besides occupying space. See? I'm still annoyed!

Tuesday Workout

20 min X trainer
87 cal
2.20 miles
6.56 av spd

HGPU 31
Knee-Ins 50

Push ups 100

Crunches
3 X 50

Bird Dog Planks
2 X 60 sec

Smith Flat Bench
20 reps X 30 lbs (bar)
80 lbs X 15
100 X 12
120 X 12
90 X 22

Smith Inclined Bench
30 lbs (bar) X 15
50 X 12
70 X 12
80 X 8 X 2
80 X 10

DB Lateral Raises s/s with
Rev Incl Flyes
20 lbs X 12/20 X 3

Rip Skulls
12 reps X 30 lbs, 35, 40

30 min elliptical
Program 1
286 cal
2.54 miles

4.74 miles total

Cybex torso rotation
12 reps X 30 lbs



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...