Monday, May 2, 2016

Side Effects...

What can I say? I'm not 100% today. It started when I burned my tongue on oatmeal. That was last week and I'm still recovering from it. I finally remembered to take lysine to help stem the opportunistic viral infection that's making my gums sore. It always appears when I'm stressed, or I've inadvertently burned my mouth. I have to be more patient, but it's hard when I'm suddenly starving and I have to run out the door to pick my son up from school. That's why they make snack bars and RTD protein mix, but I was already in the middle of a lovely oatmeal, eggs, walnut, dried cherries and maple syrup concoction when my phone alarm went off... I need to plan more time in my schedules, but I consistently underestimate how much time things take to do.

Using the estradial cream is having an effect I can feel. Not everywhere but in the important places. There is nothing worse than feeling like your doctor is blowing you off. Last year, I told my OB-GYN about a dream where my lady bits had all but disappeared. The dream was so real that when I awoke, I had to check myself to make sure I hadn't been irrationally unsexed. I told him I thought my lady parts were shrinking. But he assured me that nothing had changed. Except it wasn't reassuring, because I know there's been lady-part shrinkage. Now I'm having a hard time actually making another annual appointment, because really, what's the point since mammograms and Pap tests are not considered annually necessary. At least by the health insurance industry. And my doc thinks I should be taking calcium pills when there doesn't seem to be any actual proof that this is at all effective against osteoporosis. It does seem to lead to kidney and bladder stones.

But, there are side effects to the cream... like being orgasmically hung-over. Seriously. I'm finally feeling like my old self sexually, which is wonderful, but the downside is that, like my old self, after some awesomely mind-blowing orgasms, something gets horribly depleted afterwards, and I'm in a dark, foul mood the next morning. I've looked it up. It's not just me. It's a sudden intense drop in dopamine and can persist for up to two weeks. Luckily it doesn't affect me that long. Not every orgasm is awesome, and some are just hiccups. I attribute that to normal hormone fluctuations. I've always been irregular and I suspect that one of my ovaries has always been a dud, resulting in several alternating virtually non-existent menstrual periods. Stranger things exist.

The dopamine-deficit is affecting not just my mood today, but my strength and ability to push myself. I feel better afterwards though. Cut my cardio warm up by a third to break in the new Asics. Yes, I took solo time (when the "boys" were away at Boy Scout Camporee) to go the the Mall and shop for new running shoes. Our trips to Florida amusement parks has made painfully apparent the need for comfy sneakers. I do my homework online and settle on Asics and Brooks, but they cost well over $100 a pair and I'm never quite sure what size I need. Hence my decision to actually visit a brick & mortar store. The nice thing about Malls is that there's at least 4 different shoe shops so if one store doesn't carry what you need, you can move on to the next one next door.

Brooks Adrenaline 15
I actually had a really nice shopping experience: Olympia Sports was my first stop. They also happened to have Brooks and Asics. And even in my size. Never mind that they only had one pair left, the floor model for each brand. Or only one color. I happened to like the display model colors. The sales guy was slick. I'm sure he sells a lot of sneakers because he empathizes with his customers, telling them that he's tried on every sneaker in the store because he also has problem feet. Online research tells me that Brooks runs small and to size up. I'm an actual size 5.5 W in dress shoes, but a 6W in Ryka, a 6.5W in Asics and a ridiculous 7B in Brooks. The store doesn't carry any Brooks wide sizes, but the 7B fit really well. "Your toes are actually in the right place" the salesman says as we both peer down at my feet and I wiggle the digits.

I had both Brooks (6.5W) and Asics (6.5W) in my FootSmart virtual shopping cart before I went to the Mall. Even with a 20% discount and free shipping (on orders over $79), this would've cost me well over $200, and the Brooks would've been too short, necessitating an exchange (with additional fees). Instead, I got different styles (discontinued items don't bother me) of both Brooks and Asics for less money (buy one, get second pair 50% off, and new customers get an additional 10% discount) with the assurance that if they didn't fit properly while I wore them, I could return them. I also got them in colors I wouldn't normally buy, but I think are actually kind of cool: raspberry and gray.

Slip-free laces on the Asics
I also like the laces on the Asics... they're more 3D than most, and stay put without needing to be double-knotted like all my other trainers. It's hard to see in the photo, but they're almost pyrimidal in their shape. And did I mention that I really like the raspberry-grey color? Because I only do 20 min on the cross-trainer, I'm not sure if it's the shoes or the shorter running time that forestalls any numbness in my right foot. So far so good! I'm saving the Brooks for just running about town, when I need good, long-lasting cushioning. Like at an amusement park.

Monday Workout
(5 miles total; 15,290 lbs moved)
Warm Up
Calorie :   92 CAL
Distance: 2.5 mile
Speed :    7.47 mph
Duration : 00:20:00
205.33
Set 1 : 112x25
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
80
Set 1 : 80 Lap/Rep
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 50 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 50 Lap/Rep
N/A
Set 1 : 00:00:30
Set 2 : 00:00:30
Set 3 : 00:00:30
Set 4 : 00:00:30
20
Set 1 : 20 Lap/Rep
N/A
Set 1 : 00:00:30
Set 2 : 00:00:30
Set 3 : 00:00:30
Set 4 : 00:00:30
Prgm#1
Calorie :   280 CAL
Distance: 2.5 mile
Duration : 00:30:00
152
Set 1 : 30x18
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 100x10
Set 4 : 120x8
Set 5 : 90x20
98
Set 1 : 30x15
Set 2 : 50x12
Set 3 : 70x12
28.67
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x13
Set 3 : 20x13 SuperSet with
34
Set 1 : 20x20
Set 2 : 20x20
Set 3 : 20x21
224
Set 1 : 112x30

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...