Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Making Up for Yesterday, and the Rest of the Week

I cut 10 minutes out of my warm up cardio this morning, and it cost me about a mile. But I'd planned to put a lot more energy into pushing the iron today. It's scorching hot and I'm not inclined to do any yard work and risk heat stroke. I'm not even sure I'll be able to get to the gym tomorrow or Friday since my son is off from school. Our school district didn't use snow days and they've given them back fore and aft of Memorial Day weekend. Normally I'd take him with me and plant him in the Child Care room which has a 2 hr time limit. But it's only $5 so I can't really complain.

However, I have a sofa delivery scheduled between 7 and 11 am. There's a chance they'll show up at 7, but highly unlikely. And they'll have to navigate up 5 slate steps and wrestle the sofa around a corner into the living room area. It's been a long time coming. We'd had a futon in place for years. I'd bought it in Brooklyn over 25 yrs ago, so it's seen better days. The ash frame is still in good shape, but there's no way to clean out the accumulated dog hair between the inch-spaced spindles on either side. My husband happily took the sawz-all to it and put it aside for summer pit fire burning.

On Friday, I have a fellow scheduled to look at our 20 year old generator. It's worked well until this past winter when during a day-long outage, I noticed that the fridge wasn't being adequately powered. The fridge only came on sporadically, and the light bulb had a weird dim brown glow. Brown-out. My electrician came by to service the unit and after changing the oil, and battery, blowing a fuse and replacing it, decided that the voltage regulator was wonky. I still have to pay him even though he hasn't fixed anything. But he did turn me on to the generator repair people the next town over.

This weekend we plan to go rafting with our Boy Scout Troop. I've not been overnight tent camping in quite a long time. All I can think of is "how much bug spray will I need?" I've already gotten half a dozen bites and summer's just beginning. I yanked a tick off my son just a few weeks ago. Thank goodness we're on the list for a new storm door installation. Our old one, about 25 years old, finally ripped off it's hinges because there's really nothing for those tiny little screws to attach to once the sheet metal deforms from wear and tear. We bought a nice Anderson storm door with a self-storing screen at Home Depot and asked for them to install it.

The sales guy must've been on double-antihistamines because he tried to set us up with some carpenters. Ugh. We went back to HD three times and finally got a trainee who knew exactly what needed to be done. HD has an installation company for it's doors and windows; we just needed to set up an appt to have the door measured by one of their agents just in case the door we ordered was incorrectly measured. Which it wasn't. So we have no screen door currently, and a plywood ramp on half our front steps for our 13 yr old dog with the busted ACL. I gorilla-glued some ridged door mats across the ramp because the dog keeps slipping off the ramp when it's wet. There's already carpeting on the ramp, but the ridges run the wrong way and he can't get any traction. I got my fingers crossed.

Push ups and a quick Bird Dog Plank (on knees) suffices for core. I just don't have time for everything I'd like to do, so I just do the big movements today. For me, the big three are Benching, SLDLs, and Split Squats... covers the full body! Can I justify not doing the supplemental stuff with three sets of pull ups? Pull ups works lats, biceps, core... It'll have to do. I'm not happy that the Split Squats makes my glutes sore. I don't need tighter shorts. I think I'll have to cut down on the hard cider. Oh well...

I'm so hungry when I get to the supermarket that I actually buy a protein drink from the refrigerated section. I've been looking for Organic Valley's high protein shakes since I got a coupon for them some months ago but apparently I've been looking in the wrong aisle. They're not shelf-stable! The vanilla tastes like melted vanilla ice cream, which isn't bad. What's bad is that there's as much sugar as there is protein in this little bottle. They also sell a lesser version with 16 gms of protein. I also see Quorn burgers and cutlets. I've just read about Quorn: fungus-based protein grown in vats of glucose! I bought the cutlets because they promised more protein than the burgers (12 vs 9 gms), although I'm not happy with the high sodium content (410-420 mg). But I'm curious, and it's cheap enough to try it at least once. 

Wednesday Workout
(4.92 miles; 24,546 lbs moved)

Warm Up
Calorie :   86 CAL
Distance: 2.36 mile
Speed :    7.04 mph
Duration : 00:20:08
209.07
Set 1 : 112x26
100
Set 1 : 100 Lap/Rep
Knees
Set 1 : 00:00:30
Set 2 : 00:00:30
Set 3 : 00:00:30
Set 4 : 00:00:30
168
Set 1 : 30x20
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 100x12
Set 4 : 120x12
Set 5 : 90x25
168
Set 1 : 30x20
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 100x12
Set 4 : 120x12
Set 5 : 130x8
Set 6 : 100x12
98
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 50x12
Set 3 : 70x12
227.73
Set 1 : 112x31
Prgm#3
Calorie :   290 CAL
Distance: 2.56 mile
Duration : 00:30:00
227.73
Set 1 : 112x31


2 comments:

  1. Hope you have a fun time camping with the troop this weekend. I love camping, but prefer chilly weather. Coffee, good coffee is essential! Sent you an email from my yahoo and my preferred Gmail account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm not looking forward to all the bugs :-( 'cuz bugs love love love me.

    ReplyDelete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...