Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Second Wind

I don't show up at the gym today until it's nearly noon. Too much stuff to do in the mornings these days. At least the locker room is empty, and so is most of the gym. But not empty enough. The Precors are all occupied so I spend 10 minutes on the LifeFitness instead. I'm not wearing my hoodie today and it's chilly, but I know that's going to change as soon as I start whacking the Nexersys.

I'm not wrong. Although I don't sweat much for the first 5 rounds (Beginner), I'm warmed up for the next 5 (Intermediate). The Intermediate is still frustrating because the screen blanks and I lose accuracy points. A fellow comes over and whacks the other machine for two rounds, and only two rounds. No one ever goes the distance. I guess that'd be boring, or require commitment, or something.

The blank screen continues to vex me through the Advance session as well. At one point I just stop and let the machine run through the 3-blow combination because I'm hopelessly behind. Playing catch-up really tanks my accuracy score and I'm better off just waiting for a point where I can actually land the blow correctly. I feel really good by the time the last session ends, but the machine thinks otherwise. It gives me an abysmal score. Oh well...

I do 15 minutes on the Precor, now that all 4 are free. Pedaling forward and backward really seems to help prevent my sciatica from flaring up. I know whacking the machine seems to aggravate it, and if I do nothing, it gets worse. Finally, I grab the bars overhead and do a set of pull ups. Done!

There are sporadic groups of high school kids at the gym. I'm fairly oblivious to them, except some girls who stare at me as if I've personally insulted them. But I figure that's their problem, not mine. My husband tells me about a counter-fitness movement that claims encouraging people to exercise and lose weight just makes them feel bad. (Fine, be fat and unhealthy, but I don't want to pay for your medical intervention. Oh wait, the government has already made that happen with higher premiums for less care, and higher costs in the guise of "deductibles".) No wonder we're doomed as a society. Good grief, everyone's a victim! Is this what happened to the Romans? And the Vikings? Mere cultural and physical shadows of their formerly robust selves...

Today is my grandmother's birthday. She passed away when she was 93. Having been born in 1900, she and her twin sister would've been 116 years. I'm hoping to get to be old. But not decrepit. There's no point to living a long life if you can't life a good, active life. 93s a good age. My husband's grandfather passed away when he was 90 or so. Walked across Scotland all the time and then just dropped dead. Of course, my husband's adopted, so we're not sure how he's going to age. But he looks younger than his 48 years. We're a good match.

Wednesday Workout

Warm Up
Calorie :   44 CAL
Distance: 1.24 mile
Speed :    7.45 mph
Duration : 00:10:02

Follow Me
Lap/Rep :  15 Lap/Rep
Duration : 01:00:00
Prgm#2
Calorie :   138 CAL
Distance: 1.24 mile
Duration : 00:15:00
227.73
Set 1 : 112x31

Photos posted for actual stats:


5 rounds Beginner



5 rounds Intermediate


5 rounds Advance

3 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried hitting a heavy bag instead of the machine? No screen to blank...We use a med wt. bag for warm-up sometimes. DH likes it a lot. I'm not great at it, and it can irritate my shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried hitting a heavy bag instead of the machine? No screen to blank...We use a med wt. bag for warm-up sometimes. DH likes it a lot. I'm not great at it, and it can irritate my shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No heavy bags at my gym. I think I'd get bored. At least the machine surprises me with combos I wouldn't normally do.

    ReplyDelete

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...