Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Cardio and Core

Soggy and Disheveled!
The three Hs of summer are my latest excuse for a less than stellar cardio workout. Yes, it's hot, hazy and humid. Even though my gym is air-conditioned, I feel as if I'm drowning a little when I do my first 30 minute cardio session. The LifeFitness cross-trainers seem harder these days and barely halfway through, my right foot goes numb from the toes down through the center of my foot. Ugh! All sorts of ridiculous thoughts course through my brain, like maybe this is diabetic nerve pain and I'll have to have my foot amputated! Luckily, the tingling goes away as soon as I stop pedaling. This doesn't happen with the Precor elliptical. Even though the machines have similar functions, they are vastly different in their programs and how they affect my body.

The cross-trainer's motion is harder on my ankles and knees but I can wear my hoodie without any problem. The elliptical is much easier on my leg joints, but the same hoodie's zipper front bangs into my thighs as I pedal. Oh well. I still can't justify using the recumbent bike. It's just too lazy. I can pedal for 10 miles and never break a sweat because I'm not actually moving my own body weight (as on a treadmill or other device where you are supporting yourself).

I do straight-back sit-ups, the torso twist machine, and then planks with a tiny variation. Because forearm planks have been hard on my shoulders, I decide to try plain ol' straight arm planks which look like the up position of a push-up. It's much easier on the shoulder. 60 seconds and then drop to elbows for 30 seconds of forearm planks. With each set, I increase the straight-arm part and cut the time for the forearm part. My shoulders still complain, but not as much.

I'm still late to get my son out of the Child Care room, but we have time to go home for lunch. Off to see Antman today. Yaaay!

Core and Cardio Workout
(6.54 total miles)


Steady State
Calorie :   142 CAL
Distance: 3.58 mile
Speed :    7.13 mph
Duration : 00:30:09
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 60 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 80 Lap/Rep
Set 1 : 00:01:30
Set 2 : 00:01:30
Set 3 : 00:01:30

Set 1 : 50x25
Set 2 : 50x25
Perf Prgm 3
Calorie :   256 CAL
Distance: 2.96 mile
Duration : 00:30:00

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...