Thursday, July 2, 2015

Adaptability


I didn't realize just how tired I was until I got to the gym and discovered that not only had I not packed shoes (was I going to take care of that this morning?), but also no pants or shorts to change into once I'd showered after my workout. Luckily, I did have a T-shirt, clean underwear and a spare pair of clean socks. Yaaay for sort of being prepared. I was already wearing ultra-lightweight mesh sports pants that have real on-seam pockets and dry very quickly. And as long as they didn't get really smelly during my workout, I could run to the store in them. Because I don't have time to drive 20 min home, change and then go back to the gym parking lot, where, coincidentally, the area's cheapest supermarket is located.

Today's quick selfie
My son has a full day of camp today and I know he's tired already. I'm tired as I warm up for 10 minutes on the elliptical. It's a good thing I like to use the Beginner program as a real warm up for the kickboxing machine. 6 rounds is adequate, although by the end of the session I've had quite enough of the Warning Screens telling me I'm punching too hard. The machine is still flaky and still doesn't register some of my kicks or sweeps. I've been ignoring the Accuracy scores because whether the sensor detects my kick or not is beyond my control. Perhaps control being the key word since if I hit the pad exactly dead-on, it should register. But some of these combinations, especially in the faster, more complicated Intermediate Program, are tricky because you're off balance or out of position from landing one blow and need a second or two to reposition for the next blow. But it's still very enjoyable and I like to think that it's doing something to enhance eye-hand coordination. After all, what video game can work endurance, strength and agility simultaneously?

Of course, eventually my body will adapt and I'll have to change it up a bit. Eventually. But for now, I'm enjoying myself. I've used some leftover paper tape on my fingers but it's nearly impossible to remove. Not using that again. I'll just stick to white sports tape. One of the Step Mills is vacant so I do 15 minutes of LISS while perusing my phone. I'd like to stretch my back but the Mat is full of big sweaty men. Actually, it's the 300 lb guy who plops down next to me as I'm stretching my hamstrings that causes me to retreat to the class room down the hall. It's empty and wildly air-conditioned with a stack of personal foam mats in the corner. An old man is practicing skipping rope but soon leaves after I arrive. I spend a few minutes doing a weird camel/cat move for my back and hips. I should stretch out my shoulders and upper back but it's too cold in here, even with my hoodie on. Tomorrow is Leg Day. Oh boy...

I rush off to the store to buy groceries for the up-coming Holiday Weekend. I see maple water next to the coconut water and assorted flavored beverages. Is that a thing now? Drinking tree sap? I buy some London Broil and boneless, skinless chicken thighs along with corn on the cob and salad greens. But what I really want to do, is go home and take a nap. 

Thursday Workout

Warm Up
Calorie :   90 CAL
Distance: 0.81 mile
Duration : 00:10:00

Nexersys
6r Bgnr FM
8r Intmd FM
Lap/Rep :  14 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:56:00
Calorie :   95 CAL
LISS
Lap/Rep :  39 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:15:00

Photos posted for actual stats:

6 rounds Beginner Follow Me


8 rounds Intermediate Follow Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...