Friday, July 3, 2015

Skin Cream in Mosquito Season

I already knew that biting insects are drawn to all sorts of subtle fragrances that emanate from human skin, such as lactic acid. Unfortunately, the active ingredient in most dry-skin relief cream is usually some sort of lactic acid, or alpha-hydroxy, or uric acid (heel balm). Plain ol' glycerin and mineral oil adds a nice waxy base, but does little to actual dissolve and soften terminally dry skin. I have inherited ridiculously dry skin and creams such as Amlactin® are the only things that work for me. And bugs love it. This was made abundantly clear to me last week when a large horsefly got into our house. It landed on my bottle of Amlactin and proceeded to feast on the cream at the tip of the pump dispenser, so oblivious to everything else that I was able to smack it with a flyswatter without any effort.

I've been chased down the road by horseflies and deerflies, which is why I always wear a hoodie. Hair is no protection against their painful bites. A fly bite welts up like an egg, sometimes requiring a course of antibiotics. Is it going to erupt from under your skin like an alien predator? Who knows what nasty parasites get transmitted! Ugh! I slather myself in tea tree oil cream. It seems to work temporarily as a bug repellant, better than citronella. And less toxic than DEET. I'll use DEET if I plan to stay outside for longer than 15 minutes.

It's summer and it's hot. It's shorts weather. I put some Aveeno lotion on my thighs and shins. I don't need to leave flurries of dry skin everywhere I go. Today is Leg Day and I'm wearing shorts, of course. I know from all the cars in the parking lot that the gym is going to be miserably crowded. I'm not disappointed. However, I do manage to get on a cross-trainer for 30 minutes. I've had a cup of highly caffeinated, home-brewed coffee so I'm very happy to finally make some decent mileage. The Smith machine is busy so I decide I'll do 30 minutes of Intervals on the elliptical. In my experience, cardio doesn't really affect my strength. The Smith is still busy. I have no choice but to do GHRs at the Lat Pull Down station. That 3rd set is still hard, and I pause at rep 8 and rep 10, but manage to grind it out. Now the Smith is free. Yaaaay!

I completely skip regular Smith Squats. They're not really doing anything for me except make me worry about my lower back. Besides, I'm warmed up enough with over 6 miles of cardio. So I do Smith Split Squats. I could probably add weight, but my shorts are already too snug. This is the only exercise that actually makes my glutes and hamstrings a tad sore. I also do three quick sets of Smith SLDLs, and forgo using the VGs on the last set because I'm too lazy. I have to readjust my grip on rep 8 of the 3rd set, but it's not that big a deal. Doing these after Split Squats is good. It's the first time I really feel my glutes and hamstrings when I contract as I pull up.

Nothing better than Buff Guys Dancing!
I do a few Pistol Squats at the Mat but skip push ups and planks, in keeping with my practice of only doing a movement one day a week. I'm pleased to see my thighs are starting to develop a curve in the back. Building muscle is hard, especially when you're a 55 year old woman. I still have trouble with the fact that some stores around here are offering Senior Discounts to people my age. Good grief. On the other hand, Magic Mike XXL is opening this weekend. I'm really looking forward to that!

Friday Cardio and Leg Workout
(6.82 miles; 9,297 lbs moved according to the JeFit app)

Steady State
Calorie :   144 CAL
Distance: 4.08 mile
Speed :    8.15 mph
Duration : 00:30:03
Calorie :   316 CAL
Distance: 2.74 mile
Interval Prgm
Duration : 00:30:00

Set 1 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 70x12
Set 3 : 90x12
Set 4 : 90x12
Set 5 : 90x12
Set 6 : 90x12
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 120x12
Set 1 : 113x5
Set 2 : 113x4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...