Thursday, July 23, 2015

Whacking the Machine

I love whacking this thing. It's the one thing I can honestly say I haven't gotten tired of, and always look forward to. Today is the day I've decided to drop another round from the Beginner Follow Me program and add it to the Intermediate session. So few people use these machines that I'm not particularly worried about the 7-round restriction that my gym has imposed. No one ever does more than a round or two and I suspect that they don't really have the stamina to do more. But I could be wrong. I'm not here in the evenings when most of the riff-raff shows up. I'm here with the stay-at-home moms, seniors, students on summer break and shift workers.

As I've mentioned before, what I most enjoy about the Intermediate rounds is that the pace is quicker and the machine allows harder blows before freaking out. I still get the warning message "You are punching too hard. Change your stance or power to prevent damaging the machine." Really? I'm going to outpunch a 200 lb dude? I don't think so. I'm getting better at my Lead Sweep. That's a relief. But my left hand is starting to throb between the last two knuckles. Uh oh.

I have not been able to keep my left hand tight when I punch and I suspect that the force of impact is damaging my hand. Oddly, I don't have this issue with my right hand: I'm able to keep my thumb tucked in spite of the grip bar in the palm of the glove. I clench my left hand when jabbing and the pain in my hand dissipates so at least I know what I need to do to continue. I'd briefly considered quitting the program because of the pain, but I'm glad I figured it out and stuck it out. It's weird to consciously clench your fist. Normally I keep my hands fairly loose until I punch. My right hand automatically forms a correct fist with the tucked thumb. But my left does not. I've worried about really hurting my thumb, accidentally catching it on the pad or stubbing it. I've never considered how the open thumb position weakens the structure of the punching hand. Until now. Lesson learned!

While I'm whacking the machine, I hear a loud raspy voice behind me. It sounds like The Mayor. He's not usually in this part of the gym but he's chatting with someone on one of the cross-trainers. He himself would never be caught dead on a cross-trainer or an elliptical. It's distracting, and annoying. I have a tendency to get more aggressive the further I am into the session. More aggressive means hitting harder, and faster. I don't doubt that I'm probably really intimidating at this point. I'm not particularly concerned with how people perceive me and maybe that's even scarier? As I walk back to the locker room after stripping off my gloves, I can see guys giving me a wary look.

I took a selfie before I got to the gym. Lighting is everything. I figure one of these days in the future I'll be whining about being old and weak. At least I'll have a few photos to remind myself of how lean and strong I was in my mid-50s. I"m no skinny-minny. You can see how thick my torso is. I might never see a 6-pack, but I'm not unhappy with how I look.

Morning Selfie

Thursday Workout

Warm Up
Calorie :   94 CAL
Distance: 0.83 mile
Duration : 00:10:00

Lap/Rep :  14 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:56:00

photos posted for actual stats:

5 rounds Beginner Follow Me


9 rounds Intermediate Follow Me

2 comments:

  1. Pixie, do you use boxing/mma wraps for your hands? They're essential safety gear to support the small bones of the hand. It might alleviate all your hand issues when whacking the machine. Wrapped right, it also protects the knuckles. You can find a bunch of instructional videos on youtube on how to wrap your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only do I use cotton wraps, but under those, I have moleskin patches and then white sports tape. My hands are too little and boney to fit snuggly into my gloves and the wraps help take up the extra space so there's no chafing. Plus, being short means I'm punching upwards which aggravates the knuckles. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

      Delete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...