Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Testing the Waters

Today is freakishly cold and I pack a flannel shirt with my jeans for later. At least there are fewer biting insects when the temps drop. I don't mind. I haven't worked Back & Biceps in two weeks so I'm a bit hesitant with how to proceed. The first thing I do is cut my warm up cardio by 5 minutes. I'm actually a bit sweaty when I head over to the free weight area. I'm still chuckling about the big thin plates in the CF rack. I had no idea that they were only 15 lbs! Of course, as the plates get thicker they get progressively heavier. I see Venus on the Step Mill today. She's wearing a sports bra and capri tights, baring her midriff, but she's too far and at the wrong angle for me to see if she's got any definition. No sign of Chatty Guy either.

Both the Smith and the new Star Trac® Max Rack are vacant so I choose to use the latter. At least I don't have to worry about catching the bar on the supports if my hands rotate. I'm trying to keep good form but I can't do this movement parallel to the floor. There's just too much stress on my lower back unless I angle up a bit. I suspect my flexibility actually weakens me there. The gym starts to fill up. I'm sandwiched between Tattoo Tank doing OHP in the Smith, and another fellow doing Squats. I should try doing DLs one of these days. Maybe next week.

There's not a single unoccupied bench by the DB rack so I move onto Cable Seated Rows. I'm actually a bit tired so I'm this is a tad disappointing. ScuzzaButt makes an entrance and spends a lot of time chatting with Jude. Which is odd. Because Jude can lift a lot of weight. And ScuzzaButt can't. Later, I see Jude load the Leg Press with 10 big plates on each side. And then he does a few reps. He's not ginormous either, athletic but not so you'd know it.

I start off lighter on Lower Back Extension machine as well, but move the weight back up. I can't quite make the reps though. Finally, I can grab a bench for One-Arm DB Rows, but my bench is at the end of the rack where the 50s are. It's so crowded with women vying over the beauty bells at the other end, where coincidentally, the 2nd row of DBs starts with 55s and progresses, that I just opt to use the 50 at my end. Then I get to test my notion of BB Drag Curls, first with an unloaded EZ bar, and then with a few pounds on it. It's very different from regular BB curls and I can actually feel my right bicep contract. The inner elbow is a tad sore, but nothing like with regular curls. The last exercise, RG BB Curls, are best done with a straight bar.

I'm never sure if I can actually do what I planned so 10 minutes of HIIT cardio seems almost like a fantasy. Until I do it. I can actually make my max speeds during the 8th and 9th cycle. But start to struggle during the 10th and final cycle. Just as well. It makes 20 minutes of LISS all the more endurable. I do most of my Mat Stretch but skip the Dive Bomber Push Ups, plank and pistol squats. I can do those on Friday.

Back and Bicep Workout
(3.28 miles cardio; 31,390 lbs moved)

Warm Up
Calorie :   48 CAL
Distance: 1.18 mile
Speed :    7.06 mph
Duration : 00:10:04
Set 1 : 55x12 (bar)
Set 2 : 105x12
Set 3 : 125x12
Set 4 : 145x12
Set 5 : 145x12
Set 6 : 125x12
Set 7 : 105x25
Set 1 : 90x12
Set 2 : 105x12
Set 3 : 120x6
Set 4 : 120x6
Set 5 : 120x8
Set 1 : 195x15
Set 2 : 210x15
Set 3 : 210x12
Set 1 : 50x12
Set 2 : 50x12
Set 3 : 50x12
Set 1 : 15x12
Set 2 : 37.5x12
Set 3 : 37.5x12
Set 4 : 37.5x12
Set 1 : 40x25
Set 2 : 45x20
Set 3 : 45x20
Set 4 : 45x20
Calorie :   201 CAL
Distance: 2.1 mile
10 min HIIT
20 min LISS
Duration : 00:30:00

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...