Friday, April 10, 2015

New Cross-Trainers

Ryka Intent 2
Friday is Leg Day so I decide to test my new black Ryka cross-trainers. What better way to break in shoes than with an hour of cardio and some weight-lifting and stretching? Because they're leather, they do stretch out a bit and are much more comfortable at the end of my workout. I have to get used to the stiff ankle collar, and the arch support. I purposely don't wear the mesh-topped Ryka Dash sneaker today because I find that my feet tend to roll out slightly when I squat. I'll save those for Monday. They're also not black so I'm not quite as thrilled as I'd like to be. Instead, they are silver and white. Well, we'll see how long they stay that clean and pale. My husband commented to my son that for some reason women are obsessed with shoes. It's true: I do have a lot of shoes. But mostly because I'm constantly searching for the perfect combination of comfort and style. I had them in my Asic Gels but then they changed the pattern and the shoes are narrower. My original pair are worn out and broken on the inside. I have comfort in my Ariat Fat Baby cowgirl boots. But, as much as I'd like to, I can't live in them.
Ryka Dash

My mileage totals 6.93 miles which is pretty good considering I was a bit unhappy with my shoes and my knees during the first 30 minutes on the cross-trainer. I was prepared to give up on Smith Squats because Tall Mustache was benching there. But he was apparently done! My knees complain intermittently. I'm wearing shorts just so I can check the alignment of my knees and ankles and the rest of me. It just takes a tiny movement to throw things off, or to fix an odd feeling. Even though I'm rather unhappy with how tight my pants are over quads and glutes, I decide to do a few Smith Split Squats, followed by a few light Smith SLDLs. I purposely didn't bring any gear other than a towel, water bottle and gloves so I don't have my VGs. I can't lift heavy, which is just as well, since my damaged left index finger is still very sensitive.

The hardest movement for me to do is those GHRs at the Lat Pull Down station, so I "rest" by doing 30 minutes of Intervals on the Precor elliptical. I can get through the first 8 okay, but struggle with the remaining 4 reps for each set. I can't push myself completely upright either. That seems to involve my lower back too much so I'm happy with just the 45° angle, careful to keep my hamstrings and glutes contracted and my back straight. I do most of my Mat Stretch but skip Dive Bomber Push Ups because my shoulders are just starting to feel normal. Guilt about doing abs only once this week encourages me to do one plank. And then I do a few Pistol Squats for fun. Because today is Leg Day.

Friday Cardio and Leg Day Workout
(6.93 miles; 13,858 lbs moved)

Calorie :   147 CAL
Distance: 3.84 mile
Speed :    7.67 mph
Duration : 00:30:03
210
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 120x12
Set 4 : 140x12
Set 5 : 150x12
98
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 50x12
Set 3 : 70x12
140
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 100x12
Calorie :   273 CAL
Distance: 3.09 mile
Duration : 00:30:07

Set 1 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 12 Lap/Rep

Set 1 : 50x25
Set 2 : 50x25
Set 1 : 00:01:30
140.6
Set 1 : 114x7

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...