Thursday, April 16, 2015

Breakfast of Champions

I didn't have time for breakfast so I tossed the last of my protein powder, a scant 1/4 scoop, into my lukewarm coffee before I drove my son to his elementary school. He has an elective extra gym class on Thursdays, courtesy of the PTO. It gets us both out of the house a good 1/2 hour earlier than usual. Thursdays is also the day I reserve for whacking the kickboxing machine, so I have to make sure I've packed my gloves, moleskin, wraps, and scissors! What I don't have is any more High Protein Ensure because Abbott Laboratories seems to have discontinued this product. First they re-branded it Active, then they made it impossible to find. Now their version of Active Protein contains a meager 8 gm, and one must search online for the high protein version (25 gms). It's only available directly from Abbott so there's no way to apply coupons and store discounts this way, making this ridiculously expensive. Abbott has a sports nutrition division (EAS) but nothing there is lactose-free, a horrendous oversight on their part. They've lost me as a loyal customer, but I guess I'm not their market after all.

Today I only do a 10 minute warm up on the elliptical before a quick stretch. Then 7 rounds of Beginner Follow Me. I keep whacking the machine too hard, blanking the screen completely dark several times. I'm wearing my new Ryka cross-trainers and they are holding up well to the kicks and sweeps required for this activity. The Lead Kick doesn't register unless I smack it dead center with the point of my toe. The Cross is not so troublesome, but the Power Dig is finicky. Oh well. I don't really feel in my game until the middle of the 2nd session: 7 rounds at Intermediate Level. This program is faster, and more forgiving of hard punches, but glitchy enough to ramble through combinations that don't make any sense. I've pulled my power in order to increase my accuracy. No matter. It's all good sweaty fun, and I feel awesome when I'm done. Just for kicks, I get on the elliptical for a few minutes, doing 5 minutes of takata: 15 seconds as fast as I can go, followed by 45 seconds of catching my breath. It usually only takes me 30 seconds before I'm ready to ramp up again. But I can only do this 5 or 6 times. For now. I know I can improve this type of endurance. Just gotta do it. And maybe eat a better breakfast. Like oatmeal and an egg.

Thursday Workout

10 min Precor elliptical

7 rounds Beginner Follow Me on the Nexersys machine
  Accuracy 93% / Strikes 98% / Average Power 135%

7 rounds Intermediate Follow Me on the Nexersys machine
  Accuracy 93% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 109%

10 min Precor elliptical (2 min steady state / 6 min Takata / 2 min steady state)

photos posted for actual stats:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...