Thursday, April 9, 2015

Strength Comes in Many Forms

The one thing I'm really happy about is that boxing the Nexersys absolutely does not aggravate my damaged index finger. I cut little rectangles of moleskin to stick to my knuckles, wrap my hands with white sports tape and do a 10 minute steady-state warm-up (while varying the incline) on the Precor elliptical. My quads seems a tad stiff and I feel slow. Not enough sleep. I'm barely warm when I settle in front of the kickboxing machine, but that's what 7 rounds of Beginner Follow Me are for. To be followed by 7 rounds of Intermediate Follow Me.

The machine is still flaky, still overly sensitive to my Cross and Power Dig, still barely registers my Lead Kick unless I kick it just right. I'm wearing my old Asics Gel GT-2160 cross-trainer shoes because I need to be able to kick the pad with my toe or it doesn't score properly. The leather shoes I have aren't flexible enough. (Today I'm expecting to get two pairs of Ryka shoes: one leather and one mesh. I've got fingers crossed that they'll actually fit my feet which are small, with small narrow heels and a wide ball of foot.)

I don't really feel great until the Intermediate program because I spend a lot of time resetting the screen during the Beginner rounds. It takes me a while to remember to pull my power on the Power Dig and Cross. I'm too short to Power Elbow or Lead Elbow and just use a glancing blow for those moves. Uppercuts are also tricky. I like the Power Body best because I don't have to hold back, and I can reach that pad comfortably instead of having to arc up for a Cross, Jab or Hook. I'm really dancing to the music, a blow or kick for every beat. It feels great. It's really my favorite thing to do at the gym. Of course, the machine advises me that I should add rounds. I wonder if I did 15 rounds straight, if it would still give that assessment.

I have just enough time to pull off my wraps and the tape and do 10 minutes on the elliptical. I prefer a few minutes of intense HIIT cardio. Today I start with 2 minutes steady-state, then 15 seconds of all-out Intensity (managing to get up to 284 Strides Per Minute), dropping down to 90-120 SPM for 45 seconds, and repeat 4 more times. Then 3 minutes of catching my breath and mopping my face (160 SPM). I'm surrounded by people pedaling obliviously. At least until I reach the Intensity portion of my program. They seem startled out of their trances, probably because the elliptical tends to clunk noisily at such high speeds. That, and the water bottle shakes ominously in the handle holder.

Tomorrow is Leg Day. Wonder what I'll do...

Thursday Workout

Calorie :   97 CAL
Distance: 0.85 mile
Duration : 00:10:07

Lap/Rep :  14 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:56:00
Calorie :   74 CAL
Distance: 0.88 mile
Duration : 00:10:00

photos posted for actual stats:
7 rounds Beginner Follow Me program

7 rounds Intermediate Follow Me program

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...