Friday, January 31, 2014

Zhin Nian Kwai Luh (Happy New Year)

Today is the first day of the 15-day Lunar Spring festival, otherwise known as Chinese New Year. In Mandarin, this can be expressed verbally as "Zhin Nian Kwai Luh" (literally translated as new year happy). There are other expressions but this is the easiest to remember and pronounce. It is also the Year of the Horse which promises to be a very excitin, but not necessarily in a good way. More of a runaway gallop. Reminds me of that old curse, "May you live in interesting times."

I'm glad today is Friday and the last day this week for the Shred Program 'cuz dang, I'm tired. So tired that I really didn't want to do the 20 minutes of HIIT, but I did it. Normally cardio gets easier as the week ends, but not with this program. I struggle to keep my pace up during the runs. The rest periods seem too short for me to adequately catch my breath. But I finish and the mileage is the same as the last time I did this. It only feels like I'm struggling.

For the first two circuit rounds I can use the Smith machine for squats. I don't up my weights for anything, using only the 25 lb DBs for lunges and calf raises because my hands are tiring of holding the DBs by the 15th rep. At least lunges don't make my glutes sore anymore. The only increase I make is upping the reps for calf raises, and crunches. And knee to elbow crunches. Bleah. I get back on the elliptical for 5 slow minutes and then a 5 minute "run". I watch as my pace starts to drop by minute 3, and I kick myself into gear again to bring my pace back up for the last minute. I hate finishing a loser. I use my cell to snap a quick photo of all my elliptical mileage but I'm not quick enough for this one and all I get is the screen saying "Pedal Faster". But I've managed to scribble the mileage down on my workout sheet so all is not lost.

The Smith is in use and I don't have time to wrestle with the Squat rack on the other side of the room, so I just do Body Weight Squats for the next two circuits, dropping butt to heels and swinging my arms up over my head in a silent clap. Sweat is dripping off my nose and blurring the ink as I jot down my reps. It's just easier to log this particular workout this way instead of using the Jefit phone app. I'm not sure why I upped my crunches to 40 reps except that I don't like the way my abs look. When I'm done with the entire program, I decide to do another 20 minutes of LISS on the elliptical just for fun while I read email. Then a quick stretch at the Cage. Finally, because I know I can, I hoist myself up inside the Cage and do a dozen neutral grip pull ups, my chin just kissing the edge of the top of the Cage rack. Now I'm done. Whew!

I take a few selfies to compare with previous selfies. The only difference is that I'm wearing shorts today, but those big thighs make me look totally different. I've done a side by side comparison to show how just a pair of black yoga pants makes everything look so different. The gym scale reads 112.4 lbs. I'm getting used to the heavier reading. My home scale tells me 109.8 lbs and still 20.6% BF. Although I'd like it to be lower, I'm happy it's not higher!

Because my son misbehaved at school, we took away his electronic privileges for 3 days. No iPad, no computer games, no TV unless it's something an adult is watching. So we've played Monopoly Empire for the past few nights. He got the game for his birthday from the only girl invited to his swim party. (She had a good time anyway.) We've never had a board game night before but it's been so much fun we just might keep it as a tradition even when my son gets his privileges back.

Happy New Year of the Horse. There's a video below that roughly explains the holiday. Yes, it's a spoof.

Week Two Day Four (B) Lower 
20 min cardio 1 min walk / 1 min run = 1.65 miles
This circuit done twice without rest:
20 reps Squats @ 60 lbs
15 reps (each leg) DB Lunges holding pair of 25 lb DBs
40 reps Calf Raises holding pair of 25 lb DBs
40 Crunches
40 Crunches Knees to Elbows
10 min cardio 5 min walk / 5 min run = 0.80 miles
This circuit done twice without rest:
20 reps Body Weight Squats
15 reps (each leg) DB Lunges holding pair of 25 lb DBs
40 reps Calf Raises holding pair of 25 lb DBs
40 Crunches
40 Crunches Knees to Elbows
20 min cardio LISS= 1.20 miles
Cage Stretch
12 neutral grip Pull Ups (chin & chest to ceiling of Cage)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...