Thursday, January 9, 2014

Another Anatomy Mystery

My lower back is still a bit stiff this morning when I get to the gym. I'm running late because the old silver sedan in front of me turned left (East) into the low morning sun and smack right into a huge, "so big how could you possibly not see it" garbage truck. It blocked the entire main thoroughfare until a police officer directed the garbage truck to back up onto the shoulder. I wonder if this is the same car that ran the stop sign on my road as my son and I waited for his school bus. I tell B about this when I get into the locker room and she tells me that she's sure the driver was on her cell. I can't even change the CD in my car while I'm driving, much less talk on the phone. When I'm driving, I'll have the radio on, but all I'm doing is driving. I'm very single-minded.

Today is Leg Day and I warm up on the elliptical for 15 minutes, barely breaking a sweat at 200 Strides Per Minute. I'm definitely doing a de-load next week, but haven't decided whether I'll continue alternating LISS and HIIT days. The Smith is occupied so I do a light stretch at the Cage. When I return to the Smith, the fellow has moved on to machine shrugs right behind me. Squats feel okay until I get to 120 lbs. I'm probably doing a lot more volume than I need and I'm considering cutting back my reps. At 120, my back starts to feel crunchy. My right knee also twinges a bit. Although I can drop to my heels on the lighter weights, it's too hard on my knees as I go heavier. At 150, I'm just barely parallel but I'm okay with that. I don't need a bigger butt than I already have. And I already have massive thighs.

My lower back is still stiff, and what's really bothering me is my right front hip. I'm not sure what muscles are involved but it's certainly annoying. I'm thinking that yesterday's heavy rows are taking their toll on me. Yeah, a de-load is looking really good right now. But I still want to do Smith SLDLs. All the step platforms are stacked inside the ongoing Zumba class. Luckily they don't use these platforms in Zumba. I didn't like pulling up from just under my knees and the platform allows me to grab the bar closer to my ankles. This movement doesn't seem to hurt my back although I did curse under my breath when I got to 150 lbs. Last week I could get 12 reps. This week I cut back my heavy sets to less reps.

I feel okay but that changes as soon as I try to do some of the accessory work I skipped last week because school's were closing early. Both the Seated Leg Curl and Seated Leg Extension made my lower back ache, which is really odd because it's never happened before. Part of it may be because I don't really fit into the equipment properly. My legs are too short to rest my ankles on the rollers without me scooting myself up against the lap bar, which means my back is not flat against the seat. I have to drop the weight substantially in order to do anything. I'm disappointed. The Leg Extension is even worse. I know I can get 12 reps at 135 lbs. But today I can barely do 105 lbs without my hips and lower back complaining. I toss in the towel after a few sets and mount the elliptical. Walk pedaling while reading my email and forum posts slows me to a mind-numbing 39 SPM.

The gym scale reads 114.0 and at first I think it's a mistake because it's been 115 for the past 3 days. Well, that's okay. I'm baffled by the stiffness in my back and hip but I'm not sure what muscles are actually affected. It's another anatomy mystery. I'm only planning to do some cardio and boxing tomorrow, things I don't think will bother my sore spots. And then next week I'm not going to lift at all. Not a thing. Except maybe my water bottle.

Leg Day Workout
15 min warm up elliptical = 1.63 miles

abbreviated Cage Stretch

Smith Machine Squats: 25 @ bar as fast as I can go Heel to Butt / 12 @ 60 lbs HTB / 12 @ 80 lbs all other sets are parallel / 12 @ 100 lbs / 12 @ 120 lbs / 12 @ 140 lbs / 12 @ 150 lbs / 12 @ 130 lbs / 12 @ 110 lbs / 12 @ 90 lbs

Smith Machine SLDLs: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 80 lbs / 12 @ 100 lbs / 8 @ 120 lbs / 8 @ 140 lbs / 8 @ 150 lbs / 10 @ 130 lbs / 12 @ 110 lbs / 12 @ 90 lbs / 12 @ 80 lbs

Seated Leg Curls: 12 @ 75 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 90 lbs

Seated Leg Extensions: 12 @ 75 lbs / 12 @ 105 lbs / 12 @ 90 lbs / 12 @ 105 lbs

20 min elliptical LISS = 1.04 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...