Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Day Two

I didn't exactly have a plan set in stone when I got to the gym this morning, as in I wasn't sure whether I was going to attempt to do another 15 minute HIIT session. Instead, when I mounted the Precor, I felt an urge to see whether I'd lost my endurance so I punched in 30 minutes (with an automatic 5 min cool down) and Interval 7. I have to admit that at first I was sorely disappointed in myself. The first 10 minutes were painfully hard. Troughs allowed me to barely reach 190 Strides Per Minute and the peaks, slid from 175 SPMs to barely 150 by the time the program ended. However, once the cool down initiated, I found myself able to maintain my pace at 220-235 SPMs for several minutes. THAT felt good! I've always known that it takes me a long time to warm up and here's my proof.

It's the 2nd day of not lifting weights so after stretching at the Cage, I knock out a quick 25 push ups. Then wander off to the sit up bench and knock out a 100 there, and another 100 doing knee-ins. I feel like playing with the push ups to see how hard they are with feet elevated but there's a couple of guys by that bench now. Instead I decide to get the Low Intensity Steady State (LISS) cardio out of the way but all the Precors are taken. The only thing that's empty is one of the LifeFitness cross-trainers. And if you don't pedal fast enough, it shuts itself off which forces one to move a lot quicker than one normally would for LISS. So today's LISS is more like a jog than a walk but I don't really care. Afterwards I claim a section of the Mat and do a set of push ups with my feet on the first step of the stairs that lead out back. Stair risers average 7 inches so the 2nd time I try this, I put my feet on the 2nd step. I'm too short to attempt using the 3rd step. After 3 sets of push ups (4 in total counting the earlier set), I'm game for an abbreviated Mat Stretch. The gym is getting crowded and I don't really want to be here any more.

What I do want is to sit in the sauna for a bit and try to scrub all the nasty winter skin off my shins. The gym scale reads 111.8 lb which really surprises me, but then I realize I've only drunk 1/3 of my water bottle today. I'm feeling a tad guilty about eating the 5 pieces of candy my son put on my plate last night as his version of selecting dessert. Tomorrow's going to be a HIIT cardio day, and another go at the Nexersys. My shoulders are actually a little sore from yesterday but they should be fine by tomorrow. Yay!

Cardio Week Day Two:
35 min Precor Interval 7 = 4.29 miles Yay! 
Cage Stretch with BW heel dips, calf raises and side kicks
25 push ups
100 flat bench twisting sit ups
100 lower ab knee-in kick outs
20 min LifeFitness cross-trainer LISS = 1.19 miles
25 push ups
25 push ups feet elevated 7"
25 push ups feet elevated 14"
Mat Stretch with splits, hamstring, lower & upper back stretches


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...