Friday, November 1, 2013

Maybe It's that Egg?

Well, Halloween last night was cancelled yet again due to wind, rain and the fact that we have enough candy in the house already to power a small army. Yay! I still hit the snooze three times before getting up because something about it still being dark outside strikes me as wrong. The sun hits me in the face and I'm up, otherwise I'm sleep walking toward the kitchen to get the kettle on, the oatmeal measured out, the dog fed and if it's chilly, I toss my son's clothes into the dryer to warm them up. Today it's ridiculously warm (70°F) but the wind is whipping all the leaves off the trees and the wet ground. I half expect it to form some ancient angry ghost spirit... guess I've been watching too many bad Syfy flicks lately.

For the past two days I've reverted back to tossing an egg into my oatmeal. I've also gone back to drinking my post workout high protein Ensure. And I feel loads better. Yeah, my glutes are still sore. But they're always sore. It's probably the cardio. Because I only work legs once a week and I don't really feel sore from that. But I have big legs. Appearances are deceiving. In pants I don't look like I have big legs, but I've done the before and after shots of me in long pants and me wearing the same clothes, just with zip-off pants legs. It's weird. Now I understand why that woman last year stood in the locker room staring at me, or rather my legs as I got dressed. I'm pretty sure she couldn't believe that my big legs fit into size 0 jeans. But they do. Comfortably.

Another things I've just figured out is that I'm waaay asymmetrical. Not just handedness (yes, I'm asymmetrically ambidextrous which means I can do things with both hands but not usually the same things) but in fact, something more obvious and yet subtle. I've been struggling to understand why my left arm, which is weaker, is bigger with better definition. Its the same with my left pectoral muscle. And then, suddenly I had the answer from a question I had as a child, why is the left side of my rib cage bigger and rounder than the right? I'd always thought that people were born symmetrical and that somehow I'd become misshapened as a baby. My left profile is very different from my right, from the shape of my eye to the height of my cheek bone. My asymmetry isn't as pronounced as Stephen Fry's weirdly bent nose, but it's evident to me. I've read that models aren't chosen necessarily for their beauty, but for their pleasing symmetry, because humans in general are not born that way. Our hearts are placed on the left, livers on the right, so internally we're not quite symmetrical either.

Today is Double Cardio Friday and I'm not able to get on my favorite Precor. When I barely make 4 miles on the first leg, I'm completely discouraged. Still, I punch in program Interval 8 for 30 minutes and close my eyes while I peddle. Lately I'm always pleasantly surprised when the mileage reads more than 4 miles. Yay! I'm really happy. Cage Stretch is next. I'm eyeing the Nexersys as I peel off my hoodie and wrap my hands. It's hard to stuff my hands into the gloves at this point so I'm glad I cut the wraps in half. I take great care to wrap my knuckles because I don't like the dark bruises that form when I punch too hard.

I'm feeling ambitious today so I go for 7 rounds of the Nexersys Avatar Follow Me program. My accuracy has improved, and my power is the best it's been in a long time. The sign on the Nexersys says 7 rounds maximum or 30 minutes. There's no one using the station next to me so I'm comfortable with additional rounds. I haven't done the Sparring program in a while so I decide to do the minimum 3 rounds. Because I'm concentrating on blocking punches and landing a lot of blows, my power is less. I'm also starting to tire. Afterwards, instead of heading to the locker room, I wander to the Mat area to do my stretches. N, who is competing in a Fashion & Fitness show in a few weeks, has noticed. I'd greeted her earlier in the day, remarking that I didn't normally see her at this time. "Class got cancelled," she said brightly. I think she saw me boxing earlier as well, and when I see her in the locker room later, she seems a bit uncomfortable. Maybe I am intimidating. Yep, scary scary me. LOL!


Double Cardio Friday Workout:
35 min Interval 7 = 4.01 miles + 35 min Interval 8 = 4.30 miles  Grand Total = 8.31 miles Yay!

Cage Stretch with BW heel dips & calf raises and side kicks

Nexersys 7 rounds Avatar Follow Me, beginner female
accuracy 82% / strikes 101% / power 126%

Nexersys 3 rounds Avatar Sparring, beginner female
strikes 200% / avg power 89% / points 928

photos with stats posted:
my power comes back with a vengeance for the last round but my accuracy's not so good then...
 I get a lot of strikes in which pleases me.
Again, my power comes back at the last round.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...