Thursday, November 14, 2013

Slow and Steady

I got to the gym an hour early and all the stars were in alignment. Kidding. Mysteriously, my iPod worked fine today. It's also a tad warmer, peaking today near 50°F. All the ellipticals were occupied as I approached the cardio area, but then two gals suddenly vacated their machines and I got to ride Precor #3. Anything's better than the Tractor (Precor #2). Interval 7 feels hard when I start but as I get into my tunes, my legs loosen up, my glutes stop being sore and I can ignore the fatigue in my quads. Yes, made my quota and then some!

The Decline Bench is vacant although I can't find the foam block so I do without it. The Mayor, Tall Pace and M are kibbitzing loudly at one of the Inclined Benches. I'm not planning to move anything I know I can't lift, so I'm not worried about a spot. But because I'd like better control over the weight, I keep my reps low at my max weight today. Six reps feels pretty good but I'm cautious. Next set I just get seven reps. Then B stops by to chat a bit. Okay, I can use the rest. Her doc wants her to get an MRI 'cuz she's pinched a nerve in her back, but she's so claustrophobic that she can't. Not even sedated. So now she's looking for an "open MRI" that her health insurance will cover. She waves by at me and moves on to chat with more people. The Mayor waves his hand at me to ask how many more sets and I reflexively tell him Three. The next set I actually get ten good reps and I'm really happy because they were a bit shaky last week (when M grabbed the bar as if he were rescuing me, which he wasn't). Just for fun, I knock out a dozen reps at 95 lbs, and then I'm done with the Decline.

The Cage is busy, and there's apparently a line! I stand by the wall and stretch out while waiting for my turn. Two women later, I get to stretch and kick before heading back to the DB area. I see Flirty Girl chatting with a circle of women gathered around an arm-pedaling station. I've grabbed a pair of 2.5 lb magnets and a pair of 1.25 lb magnets so I'm set. This week I'll just stick to the 25 lb DBs instead of wrestling with the 30s, but at some point I'm going to get bored. I guess I could try 27.5 lbs next week and see how six 12-rep sets feels at that weight.

I knock out six 12-rep sets with them, super-setting them with the two-part Rip Crusher tricep movement (yes, thanks Chad). Those are exciting because I'm still figuring out what I can handle. I start with 30 lbs because I did six 12-rep sets last week. Then I up the weight for each set in small increments. By the fifth set I'm up to 40 lbs. So I do another set just to make it an even six sets. Next week I'll see if I can do all six sets at 40 lbs. R wanders into the area and we exchange a quick wave. There are a few other regulars floating about like RR, Skinny Mustache, Big Mustache, Ollie, ZZ and a couple of gals I recognize. But I'm not feeling chatty today.

I move my stuff over from the bench to the mirrored wall so I can do BB curls with the 40 I already have. I just need to plop magnets on it to make it a 45. I can get six 12-rep sets here too, so I guess it might be time to gingerly up the weight. In the past, the 50 has made my elbows scream, so perhaps next week I'll just inch up to 47.5 lbs instead. I already know I can get three or four sets of 20 reps at 40 lbs for the Reverse Grip BB Curls, so I cautiously up the weights here too. A set at 42.5 lbs is easy enough. At 45 lbs I have to pause briefly at rep 18 before finishing the set. I guess I'll be doing them at 45 lbs next week. It's progress. Slow and steady.

A hundred crunches in the Ab Station and then the Mat Stretch with two dozen Dive Bomber Push Ups before the dreaded 20-second plank. But these are all feeling easier. Hmmm. Even my stretches are really good today, and that's unusual the day after Leg Day. Could be hormones. Could just be all the stars in alignment today. The gym scale reads 110.6 lbs and that's okay. I've sucked down my entire 1.5 liters of water so I'm pretty sure my home scale will tell me about 108 lbs, and I'm good with that.

Arm DayWorkout:
35 min Interval 7 = 4.56 miles Yay!
Decline Bench Press: 12 @ bar (45 lbs) / 10 @ 75 lbs / 12 @ 95 / 6, 7, 10 @ 115 lbs / 12 @ 95 lbs
Cage Stretch
Alternating DB Curls: 4 x 12 @ 25 lbs / 13 @ 25 lbs / 14 @ 25 lbs
superset with Rip Crushers: 12 @ 30 lbs, 32.5 lbs, 35 lbs, 37.5 lbs / 2 x 12 @ 40 lbs
BB Curls: 6 x 12 @ 45 lbs
Reverse Grip BB Curls: 20 @ 40 lbs / 20 @ 42.5 lbs / 20 @ 45 lbs
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Mat Stretch with 2 x 12 DBPUs and 20 sec plank, etc

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...