Friday, November 8, 2013

Is 50 the new 30?

Today is Friday but the week isn't over. Our weekend is already booked and I'm tired just thinking about it. My glutes and hamstrings are a little more sore than usual but it's not painful so I'm going to assume that Leg Day was a success. Yay! Today is Double Cardio Boxing Day. Yay! I get to the gym at my usual time and the parking lot is crowded, the locker room is crowded, the entire gym is crowded. But my Precor is free! Yay! The only thing that really bothers me during my cardio sessions are my hands, and sometimes my toes. Because I never seem to find a good spot to position my hands, the thumbs and adjacent flesh tends to get sore. I also realize that I have to consciously press my shoulders (traps) down because they're pulled tight due to the height of the handle on elliptical. I'm short and my elbows are raised in order to place my hands on the rail. I make my quota for both sessions and the only thing I can complain about is the tingling in my toes, but walking around sorts that out. I tally up my mileage and I've made over nine miles! Wow, that's so great! Yes, I'm floating on a cloud today.

I'm at the Cage about to stretch when someone starts talking to me so I pull out one earpiece. Sweat is running off my nose and I'm still wrapped in my tattered hoodie but at least I'm not raining in the Cage. It's the guy from a few weeks ago. But it's not the Slav. Wow, he looks a lot like the Slav, but he's shorter and younger. He asks if I want to spar him and I demur, not quite knowing what to say. He's got a vague New York - Jersey accent, maybe urban Italian. He mentions how his soccer coach would have to stretch his hamstrings and when he sees me he's jealous. His coach was female, which I find interesting, but I don't offer that I played rugby in younger days.

"My name is ______" and he proffers a hand. Reluctantly, I shake hands (got my lifting gloves on) and tell him my name. He gets it wrong at first because it's not a typical name but I correct him. Not sure why, since I doubt I'll ever speak to him again. "Are you into martial arts?" he asks, and I say "No, not really. I just do this for fun." He's trying to process this odd piece of information and then asks brightly, "So how old are you?" I look at him and say, "Older than you think." Perhaps he's intrigued because he responds with, "I'm 39." And I have to smile a little when I say, "Uh, I've got a few years on you." No need to completely freak him out. Still, he shrinks back a bit. It wasn't what he expected and he loses his composure. "Well, you look really great," he says, beating a hasty retreat. I shake my head a bit, finish my stretch and kicks, strip off my hoodie and proceed to wrap my hands.

I go 7 rounds on the Nexersys Avatar Follow Me, and an additional 3 rounds on Sparring. My power is really good this week so that makes me really happy. My accuracy is improving as well. The young man who was boxing here last week shows up at the adjacent station. He goes fewer rounds. When I finish the Mat Stretch, I see him lifting weights. I'm not sure I'd ever do boxing before weights but then again, I'm constantly sounding the Warning You Are Punching Too Hard buzzer.

The guys at my gym are just completely baffled. It's okay. I'm having a good time so that's all that matters. The gym scale reads 110.6 lbs. I seem to be getting denser, but at least there aren't any galaxies orbiting nearby.

Friday Workout:
35 min Interval 7 = 4.54 miles + 35 min Interval 8 = 4.52 miles  Grand Total = 9.06 miles Wahoooo!

Cage Stretch, etc

Nexersys Avatar Follow Me, 7 rounds Beginner Female
 75% accuracy / 96% strikes / 129% avg power
Recommendation says that I'm outpacing and over powering my level so I should add rounds.
Dang, it only goes to 10 rounds.


Nexersys Avatar Sparring, 3 rounds Beginner Female
 185% strikes / 96% avg power / 931 points
Recommendation to go at least 5 rounds before progressing to the next level.

Mat Stretch (really hate that 20 second plank), etc

photos posted for stats:
I like to end my final rounds very strong.
I'm learning how to pace myself so I'm not completely spent by the last round.

This is my best point score to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...