Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Two Steps Back and One Step Forward

It's Tuesday and I get to the gym much later than normal because I had things to do before I left the house. Never mind the snow flurries that weren't suppose to stick. A feathery white blanket on the trees, grass and shrubs makes our run down neighborhood downright pretty, but the 31°F temperature meant winter parkas and gloves were a necessity. The gym was crowded but I still got my favorite elliptical so I was happy enough. I just missed my four mile quota but I was still in a good mood.

I see B chatting with M on the brand new stair climbers, and since I don't have anything to say, I just walk by with my hoodie over my face. My elbows don't like the Close Grip Lat Pull Downs but I only do four sets as a sort of warm up. Then I stretch at the Cage. Since the Cage is situated next to a mirrored wall near the gym entrance, I can see people coming and going if I'm paying attention. Most people are oblivious to me which is the way I like it. Then I see the Flirty Girl walk in with a head band, capris and snow parka. She looks around, sees me and leaves. Most people leave and return because they've forgotten something. She's just gone. I'm really quite amused but you couldn't tell that from looking at me.

I grab 4 magnetic discs and head to the free weights. I wish I didn't have to traverse an obstacle course to get to the BB rack. I guess I'm lazy because I grab the 90 lb BB and do a set of Reverse Grip BB Rows. Then I swap it for the 100 lb BB. But it's such an ordeal ducking between benches and Olympic bars jutting haphazardly out at face level (for me, anyway). So instead of swapping the 100 for the last barbell in the rack, the 110, I plop magnets on the ends. Eventually I'll just start with the 100 and swap it for the 110. But not yet. My grip seems okay today and I can feel the center of my back contract with the rowing motion. Cool, I think to myself.

After I re-rack the barbell I jump on the Lower Back Extension and dawdle a bit on where to start. WTH, I'll start where I started last week, at 150 lbs. It's actually really convenient to have the Jefit app on my phone since I can easily check what I logged last week (instead of trying to guess what I did) and judge how heavy and how many reps based on facts. As I do and log each set, I remember that I was going to do three sets at the max weight any way. So I do that too. No wonder I spend so much time at the gym.

Okay, there's only one exercise left to do and that's always saved for last ('cuz I just don't count abs and stretching). I start with the 45 lb DB and regular grips. I've replaced my old broken neoprene grips with a leather/neoprene grip but I'm not sure how much I like them because the leather seems slippery. When my fingers starts to falter I'll pull the VGs out of my gear sack. I can get 12 reps. I grab the 50 but only get 10 reps. I grab the 55 and put on the VGs and again I get 12 reps. I contemplate doing another two sets when I suddenly remember that I was going to up the weights a tad so I trade the four 2.5 lb discs for a pair of 1.25 lb discs. That makes the 55 a 57.5 lb DB. And I get three sets but not 12 reps. Still, I'm pretty happy. The guys in the DB area are trying really hard not to stare. And if they're making comments, I can't hear them because I'm plugged in.

Only abs and Mat stretch to do. While I'm on the Mat, a guy plops down on the adjacent one. He's the same guy I saw earlier, peering from the Mat area, with puppy dog eyes. He has his brown hair pulled back into a short ponytail, unusual for this part of the country. Briefly, I wonder if he's the same guy from Friday, but I soon forget about him because I've busy trying to complete my routine without falling on my face.

The gym scale reads 111.6 lbs and that's better than yesterday. The small Latina woman I spoke to weeks ago comes in and weighs herself. Apparently she's a tad heavier than me although I would've said she was smaller. Heck, she's probably taller too. I'm so bad at judging these things. She's shocked that I weigh less than her and I tell her that it's just numbers. They don't mean anything. What means something is moving the weights down and upping my reps again. But they don't mean anything to anyone except me.

Tuesday Workout:
35 min Hill 6 = 3.98 miles (Yawn!)

Close Grip (neutral grip) Lat Pull Downs: 12 @ 75 lbs / 10 @ 90 lbs / 8 @ 105 lbs / 6 @ 120 lbs
my elbows still don't like this movement so I'm not even going to attempt pull ups today

Cage Stretch

Reverse Grip BB Rows: 12 @ 90 lbs / 12 @ 100 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 110 lbs
I think I'll work up to 6 sets of 12 at 110 before upping the weight

Lower Back Extension Machine: 12 @ 150 / 12 @ 165 / 12 @ 180 / 3 x 12 @ 187.5 lbs
I'll try to work up to 6 sets of 12 at 187.5 lbs

One-Arm DB Rows: 12 @ 45 lbs / 10 @ 50 lbs / 12 @ 55 lbs / 11, 10, 8 @ 57.5 lbs
working towards getting 3 full sets of 12 reps at 57.5 lbs

Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 150
I feel this loosens my lower back up after doing all those lower back extensions
Torso Twist Machine: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs

Mat Stretch (still hate the 20 second plank)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...