Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Versa Gripps Saves My Workout

Today is Election Day and although banks are open and there is postal service, the schools are closed. Which means that I have my son in tow today. It's a busy day. First the gym, then the $5 movies next door to catch the animated Free Birds, then off to vote, then home to do a quick load of laundry or two and maybe organize dinner, and get some Chinese home work done before rushing out the door to my son's tae kwon do class. Whew.

The gym is crowded with new faces. I'm bummed when I approach the cardio area because literally all the ellipticals are occupied. I scan the line of machines when two overweight young women decide they'd rather be on different ellipticals, ones just vacated. I'm annoyed that they don't bother to reset or wipe down the machines as they exit and I kick the On/Off button by the power cord to reset the panel. I'm on my favorite elliptical and singing along to Meatloaf classics (silently) but I still don't quite make my quota. Oh well. I'm kinda in a rush anyway and had actually thought about cutting my cardio time short, but the gym rat in me wouldn't allow it. Instead, I decided I'd do my workout and hopefully the child care people wouldn't complain when I went over the 2-hour limit. I'm always running late to get my son, but he's not any trouble (unlike babies or toddlers) so no one's said anything so far.

Today is Back Day and I again debate which exercises to do. Close Grip Pull Downs feel okay except for the top of my elbows so I only do four sets. Because my elbows are bothering me, I take a break and head to the Cage for stretches before returning to the free weight area. I grab a 90 lb BB and do BB Rows, holding them overhand. I'm not happy with the strain it puts on my forearms and elbows so after another set at 95 lbs, I switch back to Reverse Grip BB Rows. I've also swapped the 90 lb BB for the 100. Then I affix magnets. Do a set and add the rest of the magnets. Inexplicably during the rows, my left pointer finger starts to ache at the base and upon closer inspection, I see a bruise forming a thick purple ring. I know I didn't bang it so I'm perplexed as to how this injury occurred. My finger starts to swell, making it difficult to grip the barbell, but otherwise it doesn't really bother me.

I'm stubborn. After a mere five sets, I wander over to the Lower Back Extension machine and start with the pin set at 150 lbs. Four sets of 12 later, I've put a half-brick (7.5 lbs) on the stack. I can actually get the full rotation so this is where I'll keep the weight until I'm strong enough to properly move 195 lbs. Gotta have goals, right? Regulars float in and out. I've seen The Mayor, Tall Pace, Jude, Hoodie Tattoo, Skinny J, M, RR and R. R seems to be sporting a new look, or he's decided not to shave. Because he's got large angular dark features, his appearance is markedly menacing, if you don't know him. I give a quick nod but I'm not in a chatty mood. I've settled myself on a bench in the middle of the DB area because the 50s are at the far right of the top rack, and the 55s are at the extreme left of the bottom rack. Yep, one-arm DB rows.

I can handle the 45 without much pain, but the 50 make the damaged finger ache and I have to cut my reps short. I re-rack the 50 and grab a 55 lb. I'm sure the guys are trying hard not to stare. Time to pull out the Versa Gripps. These make rowing the 55 so much easier. I always start with the left because it's the weaker side, but by the time I've finished 12 reps, I'm breathing hard and need a moment before I can set up with the right side. The second set gets the better of me so only 10 reps. I don't think it was my body that gave out, but my head. I need to be mindless to finish the third set and I'm happy to get another 12 reps. Okay, now that I'm doing reps at 55 lbs, does that mean I should move the weight up. Maybe I should grab the smaller magnets next time (1.25 lbs apiece) so I can inch up to 57.5 lbs instead of trying my luck with the 60 lb DB?

I'm soooo done. Well, I should do something for abs, so a quick turn at the Sit Up bench and then the Mat Stretch. I think about bagging the plank but I don't. I hate how my body quivers every time I exhale, but that' right after doing two dozen Dive Bomber Push Ups so I probably should cut myself some slack. The gym scale reads 110.2 lbs and I'm good with that since I've sucked down nearly all my water. My son isn't quite the last child in the child care room. The movie doesn't start for another 45 minutes so we have time to get a snack in the car before walking back to the cinema. Medium popcorn, of course.

Back Day Workout:
35 min Hill 6 = 3.99 miles Sigh

Close Grip Pull Downs: 12 @ 75 lbs / 10 @ 90 lbs / 8 @ 105 lbs / 6 @ 120 lbs

Cage Stretch

BB Rows (first two sets with normal overhand grip, last last sets with reverse underhand grip): 12 @ 90 lbs / 10 @ 95 lbs / 12 @ 100 lbs / 12 @ 105 lbs / 12 @ 110 lbs

Lower Back Extension Machine: 12 @ 150 lbs / 12 @ 165 lbs / 12 @ 180 lbs / 12 @ 187.5 lbs
Maybe next time I should just do all my sets at 187.5 lbs?

One-Arm DB Rows: 12 @ 45 lbs / 10 @ 50 lbs / 12, 10, 12 @ 55 lbs
Thinking about moving the weight up again but perhaps I'm being overly ambitious

Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125

Mat Stretch, etc

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...