Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Sick Day Workout

Because I can't seem to get warm unless I work out, I'm downright miserable if I stay home all day while the temp hovers in the low 40s. There's only so much hot tea that one can drink without becoming absolutely sodden. It's as if my body is in hibernation mode until I shock it awake with a healthy dose of cardio. Today is Back Day and probably the most taxing of my 5-day routine, so I'm game to see what I can make of it. I already know cardio is going to blow chunks, but I make a gallant effort anyway. I don't even come close to four miles. Still, it makes me warm and sweaty, and that makes me feel better.

My head cold is progressing -- I have tissues in my hoodie pocket because my nose is running. Or rather, my right nostril is running. The left seems unperturbed by all this talk of illness and colds. I've slathered Liquid Skin all over my fingers and parts of my heels and toes in an effort to stave off cold weather skin fissures. My finger tips are shiny like plastic, but the bleach spray I use to wipe off the elliptical tends to dissolve that protection. I'm only planning to do four sets of Neutral Grip Pull Downs but I toy with the idea of Seated Cable Rows. I stopped doing them when my lower back suddenly reacted badly, and initiated a warning bout of sciatica down my right leg. It's not worth risking the injury. My elbows don't complain too loudly about the Pull Downs. Perhaps next week I'll try some Pull Ups.

This week I'm constantly reminding myself to go slow and easy, although I frequently have to check the Jefit app on my phone to remember what I did last week, and subsequently, what I was planning to do today. I do feel a little tired when I stretch out at the Cage. But mostly I feel fatigue in my lower eyelids. They burn a little, as if I've stayed up too late watching bad TV. The rest of me feels fine. The free weight area is a complete disaster, as if teenagers held an all night rave and forgot to have their moms put everything back in order. I have my four magnetic discs from the front desk.

There's a guy blocking the BB rack because he's put the EZ bar where the 80 lb BB should be. The 80 is on the floor by his feet. He's attempting to put plates on the bar but the EZ isn't long enough to fit properly. Okay, I've just pegged this young black guy with the V-shape physique as a moron. I remember B talking about him ("Oh, he has such a nice body") and how she'd made him some soup or stew and was constantly bringing it to the gym but he'd never be there. Eventually she gave up. I'm sure he was avoiding her attentions and I was embarrassed for her.

Eventually he realizes that he's in my way and he moves aside so I can grab the 100 lb barbell. I'll skip the 90 today. I have discs so I'm not going to bother with the 110 either. BD curls the EZ bar, but never replaces the 80 lb BB. I hate people who don't clean up after themselves. I do a warm up set at 100 and then knock out six sets of 12 reps at 110 lbs. My grip is okay for this but I know my hands are already starting to tire. Lower Back Extensions are next. The seat and shoulder rest are set at the lowest points, for someone my size. But the weight is set at 75 lbs. Yeah, gotta fix that. One warm up set at 165 lbs. The next six sets are at my max weight of 187.5 lbs for 12 reps each. It's a bit of work, but not impossible. I'm not sure how to move the weight up because at 195 lbs, I can't make the full arc. I don't know if a partial movement should count. I see ZZ trying not to stare. He's wearing a fluorescent yellow shirt and a pompadour. It's hard not to notice him, even peripherally.

When I'm done, I bring the 2.5 lb discs back to the front desk and swap them for the pair of 1.25 discs. Together they'll make a 55 into a 57.5 lb DB. I'm tired but I can always move weights. I grab a bench close to the plastic beauty bells because that is where the 55s start. I warm up with a 50 though and have to walk it all the way down the rack first. A set at 55. I've put the VGs on because my hands are tired. Then I plop the discs on and brace myself for the next three sets. I don't take as long to recover from each set but still, it's odd that my left seems stronger than my right. Of course, my left is fresher because I do left side first -- it's literally my weaker side. I feel a bit hollow, but not really tired. I think the tank's gone empty. However, there's still abs to do, and the sad thing is, I can always do abs. So I do abs. Sit ups, knee-in kick outs, crunches, torso twists. All of it. Now I can finally settle down for the Mat stretch. Once I get those DBPUs and plank out of the way. Sigh.

The gym scale reads 111.0 lbs. My face seems a tad puffy so I think having bacon and eggs for dinner last night was probably a bit too much salt. But my son enjoys it when I swap brunch foods for supper, and it's a nice change especially when the hubby is away on business and will have already had dinner by the time he gets home. Tomorrow is Leg Day. I'm not sure how the Double Cardio is going to go, but I'll give it a shot. I can always push weight. It's the cardio that I suck at, and that I have to work at. But maybe not when I'm sick.

Tuesday Workout:
35 min Hill 6 = 3.80 miles Blech!

Neutral Grip Pull Downs: 12 @ 75 lbs / 10 @ 90 lbs / 8 @ 105 lbs / 6 @ 120 lbs
Will see how Pull Ups feel next week

Cage Stretch

Reverse Grip BB Rows: 12 @ 100 / 6 x 12 @ 110 lbs PB
I guess I should grab the 110 lb BB and start adding discs to that

Lower Back Extension: 12 @ 165 lbs / 6 x 12 @ 187.5 lbs PB
Not sure where to go with this because I can't complete the full arc movement at the next plate 195 lbs

One-Arm DB Rows: 12 @ 50 lbs / 12 @ 55 lbs / 12, 11, 10 @ 57.5 lbs
Guess I'll up the weight when I can get 3 sets of 12 at 57.5 lbs

Flat Bench Twisting Sit Up: 125
Lower Ab Knee-In Kick-Out: 100
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Torso Twist Machine: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs

Mat Stretch with 2 x 12 DBPUs and 20 sec plank, splits, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...