Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Abbreviated Intensity

The Precor ellipticals are once again all occupied so I hop on the only LifeFitness elliptical that doesn't have a TV screen attached to it. It's a tad smoother than the other machines but still, it's quite a workout even at Level 1 Hill. 45 minutes only gets me 4.82 miles but at least I'm warmed up. My heart rate occasionally reaches 150 but mostly it hoovers around 138 bpm. I don't even know if that's good or not.

I still can't find the right handles for the Seated Cable Row (they are later discovered in a back office for who-knows-what-reason) and resort to trying an assortment of heavy hardware meant for much larger people with much larger grips. It's very frustrating, but I get my sets done. Because my grip is screwed up from the rows, I decide to go easy on my forearms today. However, I still pull a dozen chin ups after the Cage stretch and kicks.

Both Lat Pull Down stations are occupied and I decide this is a good time to up my weights just a tad on the Reverse Grip Barbell Rows. Well, actually, Mr Pajama Pants is sitting at one station, and it creeps me out whenever he stares dolefully over in my direction. Bleah. But I finally remember to borrow the magnetic 2.5 discs from the front desk and slap them on the 60 lb barbell. Because I haven't done any lat pull downs, this feels relatively easy and getting 6 sets of 15 reps is a breeze. Okaaaay. I guess next time I'll use the 70 lb barbell. And I completely skip Lat Pull Downs today.

Today's Total Workout:
45 min = 4.82 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 12 @ 105 / 3 x 8 @ 120 / 12 @ 90 lbs
Lower Back Extensions: 2 x 25 @ 95.7 lbs
Cage stretch & kicks & 12 close grip chin ups with knees to chest
Lower Back Extensions (yes, again!): 2 x 25 @ 95.7 lbs
Bent-Over Reverse-Grip Barbell Rows: 6 x 15 @ 65 lbs
Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Torso Twist Machine: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Up: 150 (I counted!)
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 125 (yes, I counted)
Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 5 x 20 @ 30 lbs
   (and I'm feeling a bit guilty about not doing any lat pull downs)
Mat stretch

I say Hi to R and ask him when he's going for the steroid shot. He tells me tomorrow and we both agree that it can't come soon enough. The humidity is really bothering him today, especially his knees, one of which has had the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) reconstructed. He's a mess of pins and broken bones, and I think to myself that I never want my son to play football. Then he tells me that his mom is driving him to his appointment tomorrow as he won't be able to drive himself after such a procedure, and I think wistfully, I won't be able to help my son when he's in his 30s because by then, I'll be in my 80s.

The scale reads a surprising 109.2 so my water weight must fluctuate wildly. Remember, 1.5 liters weights about 3.3 lbs. And I usually have to pee at least 3 or 4 times after a workout until everything reaches equilibrium. When I get home, I check my home scale and it reads 107 lbs with 19.1% body fat. I'm mostly surprised at how little my bones weigh: a mere 4.8 lbs. Really? Is that all? Wow.

The most exciting thing about today is going to Kmart and discovering stick-on bras. I have to search every box before I can find cup size As. I know I'm really an AA (yes, penlights) but those are impossible to find. One manufacturer makes several types and I opt for the cheaper version with push-up padding and stick-on wings that you apply to the skin under your armpits. The slightly more expensive version are silicone-based and apparently just stick to your boobs all by themselves but you must be diligent about washing off all body oils, skin lotions, fragrances and powders. I try on the green-sequined dress I got at Kmart last week for $18 just to see how the strapless, backless bra works. It actually works pretty good! I'm impressed, and that doesn't happen often.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...