Monday, October 8, 2012

Thoughts About Work Out Revisions

I only worked out three days last week and felt pretty good although I still have that blasted wet cough! So I dreaded going to the gym this morning because I'd gotten comfortable being a cold-weather slug. Plus, Saturday was our 11th year anniversary and we went out to dinner and indulged in lemon cheesecake and apple crumble with vanilla ice cream for dessert. Our son had a big dish of chocolate ice cream that he could barely finish.

It being a school holiday, I let my son sleep in and we got to the gym an hour later than normal. It was barely 40°F this morning, so warming up proved to be challenging. After 45 minutes, I got 5.09 miles but was barely sweaty. I see B but decide I don't need her to spot me after I convince myself that I ought to stop underestimating myself.

She's on the Stairmaster with a bird's eye view when I bench my last heavy set at 145 lbs. Needless to say, she's impressed. Because I'm not actually sore or tired, I also knock out a quick set of reps to finish. 25 reps feels pretty good at 95 lbs. I'm pretty damn happy myself. Seeing R smiling and working out just tops the day off. I assume he's gotten a pain shot and is feeling his old self because I don't actually talk to him today. I don't have to. I can see it in his face.

The time passes so quickly that after a few sets of abs, I barely have time to do a mat stretch before showering and getting my son from the Child Care Room. And I'm still 30 minutes late. I'll have to do deltoids and triceps tomorrow, or Thursday, depending on how I decide to break up my work outs.
I really hope my cardio feels better tomorrow. Unlike B, I enjoy having sweat drip off my brow. It makes me feel as if I've actually done something.

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio #6 = 5.09 miles
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 / 3 x 8 @ 145 lbs / 25 @ 95 lbs
Cage stretch & kicks
Ab Curl Stations: 2 x 25 (upper) / 2 x 25 (lower)
Seated Twisting Sit Ups: about 100
Lower Ab Kick Outs: about 100
Mat stretch

My water bottle is only 2/3 empty and I don't feel like I've had a good workout today. I'm not surprised when the scale reads a whopping 109.2 lbs. Maybe I need to start doing an hour of cardio to warm up now that my body seems to have acclimatized to 45 minutes? I'll see how tomorrow's 45 minutes feels and if I'm still "cold", I'll up my cardio time. I'll probably also limit myself to Seated Cable Rows and Lat Pull Downs, and reserve Bent Over Reverse Grip Rows for Friday along with Biceps. Wednesday will still be Leg Day, but Thursday will be Delts and Triceps. I've never done a One Body Part a Week work out before. I began Legs in April so it's been 6 mos which is time for a change to the routine. Wow, I actually have a workable plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...